How hard is it to rebuild the clutch

xnoahx

How hard is it to rebuild the clutch

Post by xnoahx »

I'm pretty sure that I need to do some work on my clutch. It is at its maximum adjustment and I have to have the lever pulled all the way in and the clutch will still drag a little. I was just wondering how hard of a job it is to replace the friction plates and the springs. Will I need any special tools for the job? Also, what is the best clutch pack to use? It a pretty stock setup, the only difference is its running a mousetrap eliminator.
Cotten
Bikes: -

Re: How hard is it to rebuild the clutch

Post by Cotten »

xNoahx!

If you own a vintage vehicle, you have few alternatives:

Technical skill level: .01
Don't buy anything yet. Clean up what ya got. It will probably service well even if it is fossilized. That is part of what made harleys a legend.

Special tools: a very large washer with a 3/8" hole in it.
And some degreaser and steel wool. ( Just clean 'er all up.)

The 32nds of an inch specs in the Manual are splitting theoretical hairs. If the pressureplate goes in and out squarely,...your are zeroing in quite well. Trust your instincts!

(You DO have a Factory manual,..right?)

You will find it to be a rewarding experience.
Thus it will sucker you into more and more complicated and expensive repairs, until you have invested many times more than the market value of the machine. Yet you will still devote every moment of thought that you might have called your own to its mythical completion. But every successful project upon the machine only opens up the obvious improvement of other aspects....until an authority comes along and points out faults du concours and you then frantically search out the "elite" to assist you at enormous expense...

But if you had just punished the clutch with bunch o' burnouts until it grabbed right again,,......
Oops, sorry,... I was lost in the past for a second.
xnoahx

Re: How hard is it to rebuild the clutch

Post by xnoahx »

I can understand trying to service what is already there, I like to keep money in my pocket. Ill have a look though my service manual and see what I can do but it will just really burn me up if I end up having to do the same job twice to fix it once.

Return to “Clutch & Mousetrap”