Clutch Assembly

Ohio-Rider
Bikes: *

Clutch Assembly

Post by Ohio-Rider »

Got a 56-kick Pan last summer. The bike has 3" open primary(Primo).
Last fall I removed all the clutch plates and left them on the bench. Anyway during the course of the winter the plates all got shuffled together
and I don't remember the order to start putting it back together. Also am unsure of how tight to tighten the three nuts that hold the unit all together.
I e-mailed Primo for some help a few weeks ago but have not heard back from them. What do you guys think?
thsmith

Post by thsmith »

I would think as far as clutch plate order and hub nut tightness for a belt would be same as chain, your service manual should cover it, you do have a service manual ? If not let me know and I will scan some pages outta mine and send you if need be.

Tracy
DuoDave
Bikes: duo

Post by DuoDave »

Start with a fibre plate, then a metal plate. keep going like that till you have used up all the plates. The factory recommended tightening the adjusting nuts until there was a 31/32 in. gap all round. If you have aftermarket clutch parts, this probably no longer applies. just come up evenly on the nuts until you can kick your motor over against compression without the clutch slipping. Measure the gap between the plates that the springs bear on to make sure it is the same at all points. If your clutch slips whan riding, just come up another half turn at a time until it grips.
VintageTwin
Bikes: '46 Knuck. '57 Panhead, '59 Panhead

Post by VintageTwin »

31/32" is still the correct measurement from the inside edge of the pressure plate to the outside surface of the releasing disc, on a three stud hub.
Garm

clutch

Post by Garm »

The metalplates also have the word "out" stamped in the metal which tells you what side needs to face you when mounting them.
VintageTwin
Bikes: '46 Knuck. '57 Panhead, '59 Panhead

Post by VintageTwin »

And no reason to go buy any, but you can use drive plates w/o rattle-balls. Barnett? makes some. 8)

Return to “Clutch & Mousetrap”