Adjusting clutch

I am trying to adjust my clutch. If anyone has the clutch adjustment specs, please help me out!

Bandit
Inactive member

Adjusting clutch

Post by Bandit »

I just bought a 1964 Panhead, and I am trying to adjust my clutch. If anyone has the clutch adjustment specs, please help me out!
VintageTwin
Bikes: '46 Knuck. '57 Panhead, '59 Panhead

Re: Adjusting clutch

Post by VintageTwin »

Get the Clymer Panhead book and the 1959-69 OEM service manual. You can get the Clymer book here, and the OEM book from Chuck @ Kick-Start (616) 245-8991. You'll need them if you plan on keeping your machine and riding it.
RogerM

Post by RogerM »

Measure distance from the inner edge of the spring collar to the outer disc surface, if distance is equal to or less than 7/8 springs are at max setting. If the distance is greater than that tighten 3 adjusting nuts 1/2 turn then test. Hope this helps until you get the book
VintageTwin
Bikes: '46 Knuck. '57 Panhead, '59 Panhead

Post by VintageTwin »

I thought you meant adjusting the "mousetrap" for clutch cable adjustment. Yep, 31/32" (at each of the three stud positions) is what the book calls out, for clutch plate adjustment. Suprising to me, is that you can actually get that measurement using a metal (pocket) machinist ruler. If you had to only get one Panhead manual, I'd get the Clymers.
53rigidrider
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Post by 53rigidrider »

I had problems when I replaced my clutch plates on my '53.
I found this site very helpful: http://www.directparts.com/static/artic ... etrap.html

Return to “Clutch & Mousetrap”