Clutch Hub Nut - Somebody Stop Me!

Ripley/Fla
Inactive member

Clutch Hub Nut - Somebody Stop Me!

Post by Ripley/Fla »

I am trying to remove my clutch hub and the nut will not move. My manual says it is a left hand thread - which I read first! It has a very new tab washer, so the last owner was in there sometime. I am worried about either ripping the trans off of the mounting plate or damaging something internally by "striking several sharp blows with a mallet." Nothing appears rusted up. Loctite is always a possibility. Where are the threads located internally in the nut? I am assuming at the end buried furthest in the clutch hub? Any hints are greatly appreciated! My 'new' bike has been full of surprises, but all I can say is "Pans Rule!"

Post by Guest »

First get yourself a clutch hub holder. You can beat the shitt out of that thing all you want but if the hubs not locked down your not going to acomplish nothing. Get and old clutch plate and weld it to a angle iron and make yourself a lollipop. Next if you can afford it by an electric inpack gun. If not get the hand held model. With the lollipop a 24" breaker bar will work just right. Bob :P

Post by Guest »

Another thing. Anti-seaze on everything upon reassembly. Bob
mbskeam
Bikes: *

Post by mbskeam »

Impact it off, I bet it has RED lock tight on it.I do this on the tranny , clutch and engine nuts on the drive, never had on come loose, but that is just me....
make a holder also they do help hold things......
mbskeam
1964 panhead

clutch hub nut

Post by 1964 panhead »

Yeah. If you can you will probably have the best chance getting it off with a impact wrench. Other than that the old clutch plate with a handle welded to it trick is the other way to go. Good luck.

Post by Guest »

Thanks to all. Wood wedge in chain sprocket, rear brake on, 4th gear, and heat applied to threaded area of nut. I wasted the seal in the nut, but it actually came off pretty easy after I melted the loctite. I purchased some clutch stuff on E-Bay and will make a hub holder.
VT

Post by VT »

And of course now you (and we) know no Loctite is needed. Wow, that Loctite red is some tough material.
Be sure an pay special attention to the hunter tang of the four tabbed hub lockwasher. Page 144, 145. I sheared mine off tightening my clutch hub (70 ft. lbs) and my nut backed off because of it. Luckily, Harley or Davidson designed a primary cover that would allow the primary chain to stay attached while the clutch spun around in there...off the shaft.
If you have any questions about your machine ask someone here first, like you're doing.
jellero
Former member

Post by jellero »

first, order a new "supernut". then try locking the clutch up as was said and if the impact wrench doesn't work, try a little heat and a cold chisel. i bought an impact wrench for this purpose but it didn't work (cheap). checker auto loans out tools by the way. j

Return to “Clutch & Mousetrap”