Clutch Adjustment Help

Cray2751
Bikes: 58flh 57fl 69fl Evosporty Chop

Clutch Adjustment Help

Post by Cray2751 »

Hey Guys! New to the forum and I have been exploring the knowledge base and trying to read on the topic that I am looking for. I have a 58 FLH with a 58 trans that is made into a chopper. I have a hand clutch lever with no mouse trap, thats my hang up. I have read everything on here and my manuals and I am still lost. With not using a mouse trap, what is the proper procedure in adjusting my clutch.

From my 4 speed shovel, I screwed the pushrod adjustor screw until I felt resistance, backed off a 1/4 turn and locked it down. Then I set the play on the clutch cable. Is that the same procedure?

Thank you all for the help.
1950Panhead
Bikes: 1950Panhead

Re: Clutch Adjustment Help

Post by 1950Panhead »

From my 4 speed shovel, I screwed the pushrod adjustor screw until I felt resistance, backed off a 1/4 turn and locked it down. Then I set the play on the clutch cable. Is that the same procedure?
Yes, you have it, you need strong hands without mouse trap.
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

Use the '68 up style clutch (softer springs and 5 plates) to get the same pull as your Shovel had. All the stuff fits in the '58 clutch shell.
nmaineron
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1995 fxsts,1963 fl project in progress

Post by nmaineron »

You also have to be aware of the distance of the clutch arm from the transmission. This should be your benchmark for your adjustments.This puts your clutchrod in the right position to make your adjustments.
Cray2751

Post by Cray2751 »

1950Panhead wrote:
Yes, you have it, you need strong hands without mouse trap.
Thank you so much for the confirmation. :D
Cray2751

Post by Cray2751 »

RUBONE wrote:Use the '68 up style clutch (softer springs and 5 plates) to get the same pull as your Shovel had. All the stuff fits in the '58 clutch shell.
Thanks I will certainly have to look into this. I have a Rivera Pro Clutch I am going to test out on my shovel soon. I have heard good things about them.
Cray2751

Post by Cray2751 »

nmaineron wrote:You also have to be aware of the distance of the clutch arm from the transmission. This should be your benchmark for your adjustments.This puts your clutchrod in the right position to make your adjustments.
Any advice you could give me on this? From the reading I have done, it looks like once the push rod adjusting screw makes contact with the push rod. Back off 1/4 and your clutch arm should have 1/2 of free play. Then take up the free play with your clutch cable. Is that the correct way to measure? Thank you for your help
nmaineron
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1995 fxsts,1963 fl project in progress

Post by nmaineron »

Cray,you read it right.It is possible to adjust things up and have the clutch arm wacking the tranny top.Having it at an inch protects your throwout bearing inside the kicker cover.I find it makes adjusting the clutch rod much easier,I turn the screw in till I can feel it taking up slack,then set the screw,then the cable...
bangkokbob
Bikes: 94FLSTN
63FLH

Post by bangkokbob »

The Rivera is a very good clutch. It's not very forgiving though. It requires some revs and careful release to take off smoothly.
I have a m/trap and had to use the gold plate foe the extra pull.
These can take 120HP so that's why they require gentle release but will never slip.
Regards B.B.

Return to “Clutch & Mousetrap”