clutch hub nut

jerryd
Bikes: 58 FL, 74 Norton Commando, 70 T100R, 72 Yamaha 75, 65 Honda C65

clutch hub nut

Post by jerryd »

Good morning, I have been wading through the 275 posts under clutch hub nut and could not find any post of how to replace the seal. Does the spring washer get destroyed in the process? How do you guys do it? Thanks for any help jerry
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Re: clutch hub nut

Post by RUBONE »

The old style spring/washer/cork seal assembly is easily changed to the newer type lip seal by just removing the snap ring and all components and installing the lip seal in its place. It is also possible to double stack lip seals if desired. Don't forget to lube the seal(s).
jerryd
Bikes: 58 FL, 74 Norton Commando, 70 T100R, 72 Yamaha 75, 65 Honda C65

Post by jerryd »

Thanks Rubone I will get at it soon .Have a distraction , first grand child just born, girl.
Anyone have a rear mount for the oil tank that bolts to the swing arm you would part with ?

The only downside is now I am crawling into bed with a grandmother :lol:
Panhead Joey
Bikes: Harley Davidson 1959 FL Panhead 1964 FLH

Post by Panhead Joey »

Hello Guys,

I just received my new clutch hub nut from JP cycles and they are exactly the same physical size and shape. I screwed the new clutch hub nut turning it counter clock wise(left hand thread) and it would not turn freely by hand. I placed my socket over the nut to start turning it but there was a little slight tug on the nut but finally the nut moved with the ratchet bar and socket. I removed the socket to see if I can move the nut by hand but only with a socket it would turn. There was hardly any force needed to move the nut though. I removed the nut to see what has happening to the threads and noticed a hair like thin strip of metal, very tiny strand. I feel the new nut would be OK to get it started because I was not forcing it with extreme force. Maybe, I just had to get the nut started to thread correctly but I was not sure and did not want cause any damage to the main shaft thread. I looked at the transmission main shaft thread and it looked OK and there stripping at all. Do you think because it's a new nut I just had to get it on first and then it would go easily after that? I applied the old lock nut and went on smoothly by turning it by hand. Should I put some mystery oil on the new nut thread or grease or use the old nut?

Thanks,

Joey
Bigincher
Former member
Bikes: 1941/59 EL
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

Joey, the new nut is simply a poorly made and I'll-fitting part, which is what you will almost always find at Jay-Pee. The sliver of metal that peeled off as you tightened the nut was rolled off the nut as you turned it into the main shaft. It should have turned freely, but I suspect there was no damage done to the main shaft threads because the quality of the material of the nut is so inferior.
I know it's easy to go right to Jay-Pee for your needs because they seem to have everything, but you are learning that they just lack basic quality. Even V-Twin is better than the J-P brand, but there are vendors that carry higher quality parts.
Do yourself a favor and use the Jay-Pee catalog to line the bird cage, and ask here where you can find the next replacement part you are looking for. You can also send me a PM any time you want, and I'll help you find the best replacement part available.
Panhead Joey

Post by Panhead Joey »

I was in the garage playing with the club hub nut applied al light coat of mystery oil and went on much smoother so I believe your right with inferior quality part. And yes, it's much easier to order from JAY-PEE :) because they do have everything online and thought they did carry quality after market parts for yhe older Harley's. (I guessed I was wrong!) Bigincher, that would be of great HELP if you can give me a list of vendors that would carry quality Harley parts for my 1959 FL so I can make another.

Thanks for help as always Bigincher!

Joey

P.S. Also, I'm not sure how this works but do you guys get paid or freely volunteer and share your information. Because I truly appreciate all the help and advice that I am getting on this online forum and would not come this far without you all. There is a click button to donate can you tell me what this is about so I can donate if it's going help?

Thanks,

Joey
panhead
Site Admin
Bikes: 1954 FL

Post by panhead »

Check the links menu, click Parts & General info --> Vendors overview

http://www.hydra-glide.com/scripts/ov_suppliers.php
Panhead Joey

Post by Panhead Joey »

Awesome Panhead did not know how many vendors are out there lots to choose!

Thank you!

Joey
Bigincher
Former member
Bikes: 1941/59 EL
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

Joey, we freely and gladly help whenever we can. Why? Because we've all been there. When I started riding Harleys, we still had rotory telephones and black & white TV. There was nowhere to turn for help, so we figured it out on our own, or sought out others with the same interests. There was usually a 'gray beard' that we could go to, as well.
The aftermarket has always been around, but over the years as other players entered the market, it got harder and harder to distinguish who had what that was worth a crap. So a place like this offers a large collective pool of experience. Everyone has something to offer, based on their own experience.
And a good used OEM part will almost always be superior to a new aftermarket part. eBay is a good source, but you have to be careful about buying the wrong part, or buying someone else's junk. Again, experience is key. Swap meets are great, too. Find out the ones that are closest to you and when they are. The bigger AMCA meets will have just about anything you could want. And you don't have to be a member to attend.

You asked for a list of vendors, and that's not as simple as it sounds. There is really no single source that has it all. It depends on what you need for where to go. 'Experience' is a big part of it. And a fair amount of 'New Old Stock' parts still exist- if you know where to look.
So don't be afraid to ask, we're all here to help each other.
Panhead Joey

Post by Panhead Joey »

Thanks Bigincnher for your support and encouragement that's what keeps me motivated and inspired! It feels like belonging to a brotherhood or a band of brothers all loving what we do!

Joey

Return to “Clutch & Mousetrap”