Clutch actuator shaft height...

jamiefixit
Bikes: 51 Pan. 72 Econoline.

Clutch actuator shaft height...

Post by jamiefixit »

Hey guys, if I disconnect my clutch cable the actuator shaft that sits at the end of the gearbox moves up and down about half an inch. Without taking it apart to look, Is there any reason why I shouldn't pack out the underside with some washers so it sits higher. Reason being the cable and the actuator arm that its connected to, are too low and the cable scrapes on top of the gearbox because it's being pulled low by the height of the actuator arm (and the cable pops out every now and again). Plus it makes the clutch heavier...

Your thoughts very welcome...
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Re: Clutch actuator shaft height...

Post by 58flh »

Jamie---no doubt your running an eliminater.Sometimes you have to take the arm where the cable ferrule sits & bend it upward using a press/or vice & length of pipe.It wont be much.In the kick cover itself theres a rebuild kit ,but that will not raise your shaft!.However you can shim under the arm some/as long as its not a 1/2-inch your looking for.The usual fix is a slight bend upward & the cable wont saw into the lid of the tranny.It sounds like you have the 6-inch straight arm that most Eliminater kits use/Most all need a tweak up.---Respectfully----Richie

Return to “Clutch & Mousetrap”