Clutch friction disks

FL58
Bikes: duo glide 1958

Clutch friction disks

Post by FL58 »

Hi guys,

another question while I am rebuilding my 58 clutch Duo glide.
the 3 friction disks and cushion plate linings seem OK but I have a doubt about the holes where the drive pins goes :
some of them are a little out of shape. Do you think they have to be changed or are they still ok like that ?
photo 5.jpg
photo 6.jpg
photo 7.jpg
photo 8.jpg
Another question : what is the difference between Big twin friction disk ref 37930-41 and 45 ones ref 37931-41
I have seen pictures of 45 friction disks and they seem to be the same as big twins ones (size is different ?)

thank you for your answers
sincerely
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Larry
Bikes: -

Re: Clutch friction disks

Post by Larry »

I've seen worse. Are the rivets loose? The linings should be sanded to remove glaze. It's asbestos, don't breathe it. Perhaps wet sanding.
Bigincher
Former member
Bikes: 1941/59 EL
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

I think they'll be fine. They look to be well-penetrated by oil; I've soaked oily plates in gasoline, then let dry completely before scruffing the surface with sandpaper on a flat surface. BrakeKleen will also work, probably safer than gasoline, and probably work better. Might take a can or two, but if you catch it on sale, it's less than 3 bucks a can.
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

The Friction plates look ok on the pics.!---Olny after cleaning is when you will find Loose rivets-(Rivets MUST BE TIGHT!)-This keeps them even & helps prevent a GRABBY clutch!.The Question is the STEELS!!--Look for discoloration/(HEATING)-look for grooves .Check for warping on a KNOWN flat surface.If they pass the tests & olny are shiny from the Frictions/just break the glaze on them with a flat surface with emery -(preferably used emery)-& tape it to the flat surface,Rotate while sanding.----If you have the Ball steels in /& there good USE THEM--I uncliped the holder & removed the balls./(REASON)-you may find that the clips might be to loose.,If thats the situation I would remove them as you dont want that running & flying out!--It will F--ck-up something before you pick it out of the bottom primary next time you pull it.I have seen them Lodged in the Fibers & made for a miserable ride for my customer to my garage!.-Once pulled The Fiber was slightly bent from it before it dug halfway in & It aided in the 1 of the 3-studs to have wear that stopped a fingernail.Remember there oily now ,Once the dirt & fibers are cleaned out from them /You may find LOOSE RIVETS-(keep a eye out).----Rspectfully----Richie
Andygears
Bikes: 1950 panhead, 1999 FLHTCI, 1987 FLHTC custom

Post by Andygears »

I would also take a burr knife or a countersink, by hand, and cut the burr at the edge of the small holes around the center. As we've seen in the wore out clutch hubs, notches form on the ten pins/studs as the holes egg themselves out. A nice radius at the edge of the holes will allow the plates to slide freely on the studs.

My 2 cents
panhead_kicker
Bikes: Pan
FLHP Evo
E-H Super X
Chubble head hack
Servi-car
Topper(s)
Model 64D (Hey its got 3 wheels!)

Post by panhead_kicker »

FL58 wrote: Another question : what is the difference between Big twin friction disk ref 37930-41 and 45 ones ref 37931-41
I have seen pictures of 45 friction disks and they seem to be the same as big twins ones ...
The pin spacing is different on the 45 clutch, so the plates won't interchange.
FL58
Bikes: duo glide 1958

Post by FL58 »

thank you all for your help
sincerely

Return to “Clutch & Mousetrap”