Clutch question

t-jacobs
Bikes: 64 FLH

Clutch question

Post by t-jacobs »

Had my 64 Pan out today and the clutch started slipping. When I got home I checked all adjustments and everything is where it should be. Pulled the clutch plates assuming they were oil impregnated and found the linings are all loose with oblonged holes. Clutch plates are good but holes in linings are worn. Looking for opinions. Should I hunt down NOS linings and rivets or is someone else like Barnett making a better product then the originals? I have a local shop that has the correct press for the rivets. Or am I better off buying clutch plates with linings already installed? Thanks for any info.
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Re: Clutch question

Post by 58flh »

T-Jacobs----I ran OEM discs & fibers for ALONGTIME.About 3+yrs. ago now I purchased a set of Kevlar clutches.--The price was $72/-They made by ENERGY ONE & IS the best dam clutch I ever used or had for street use!.The fibers come with steels its all complete.The instructions say to soak the Kevlars in ATF for 15-min.--Guys were having problems with jump & grabby clutch.The trick is soak them OVERNITE!-(They wont expand!).Then wipe dry & make sure they travel on the studs EASILY no snags.I also kept my OEM steels as there was nothing wrong with them.I have to ADMIT that I had Barnetts & other aftermarket junk in there --BUT these are the BEST I ever had in a streetbike!.I can shift thru all the gears at Idle & back to N.I also ride 2-up alot & we take some long rides.I have climbed grades LOADED DOWN with Momma on to & never a SLIP!.-I open the primary every year & check everything & these Energy-One kevlars arent even a LITTLE worn!--(I kid you not).Also my bike is all I have to get around, So I put on alot of milage in 8-months or as soon as ICE covers the roads.Thats when I rip her down for maintenence.----Richie
t-jacobs
Bikes: 64 FLH

Re: Clutch question

Post by t-jacobs »

Sounds like Energy One is the way to go. Thanks for the advice.

Return to “Clutch & Mousetrap”