fitting a suicide clutch

bitsapan
Bikes: 78 Cbx 1000
2008 Triumph Spped Triple
52 Panhead
BSA Bantem 175

fitting a suicide clutch

Post by bitsapan »

Hi guys, need some help again. Got the cable for the suicide clutch in place but I'm stuck with connecting to the lever. Got a nice piece of chain to make the length up. But I don't seem to be able to connect without it looking like shit.
Any idea's more than welcome.
All the best steve.

docmel

Re: fitting a suicide clutch

Post by docmel »

Use a dog choke chain collar. They look allot better
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

I would run a dog chain to/The Loops are smaller There strong enuff for clutch use/Or just get the rod for it with a Heim-joint at the pedal to act like a bering!,This way you wont gouge out anything on the rocker.---Respectfullt----RICHIE
bitsapan
52 Panhead
BSA Bantem 175

Post by bitsapan »

A dog choke chain will look good, I will see if I can find one.

Richie, not sure what you mean with a "Heim joint". Still need to connect to the cable. I don`t have the original setup. Have a exhaust that means the cable is routed different to the original.

My other problem is when I adjust the cluch and attach a cable, the clutch does not operate. I`ve gone from a hydraulic to a mechanical and it just doesnt seem to move. I can`t see any movement on the plates....

My gear lever that I made is also wrong. It hits everything on the way to change gear. Got to make a new one. :(

This fabrication buisness is great fun, but very frustrating. :evil:

I will see if I can get some pics.

All the best steve
bitsapan
52 Panhead
BSA Bantem 175

Post by bitsapan »

This is How my clutch cable starts, and ends
I put the cable straight into the lever. It's too thin a cable, but just to see how it works. I cant see any movement on the clutch plates. Must be doing something wrong.
Really appreciate some know how.

All the best steve
IMG_20150801_152829.jpg
IMG_20150801_152938.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bigincher
Former member
Bikes: 1941/59 EL
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

I'm no "expert", but I do know there are different length pushrods...............
james
Bikes: 1952 FL
2020 Honda Super Cub

Post by james »

If that's your clutch cable running under the exhaust pipe, I'm not liking that angle. Not a straight run, prone to breaking.
Fact the whole clutch setup looks hokey, but if it works for you It works for you.
My opinion and with respect to customization.

Jim
bitsapan
52 Panhead
BSA Bantem 175

Post by bitsapan »

Hi Jim, its not really what I want. But I cant go anywhere else.
I`m going to be under the exhaust which ever way I go. At the moment I`m having problems with the cable. Seems to move smoothly but I`m not getting much clutch movement.
I`m maybe going to try and go forward and around the main post. See what happens....

Hi Bigincher, had a look at the lengh of the pushrod, very close to the one that was in befóre, with the hydraulic clutch. Should be ok. If Im right it is the adjuster screw that makes the lengh right. But being far from an "expert" myself, I`m just learning as I go.
Got the new pushrod with my RSES, so should be good.

All this "customization" is fun, but its driving me nuts... Thought harleys were supposed to be simple "go to" machines :?

Thanks for the imput, good to know there are more heads looking at my problems :)

All the best steve
hplhd
Bikes: 1998 heritage springer
1959 FLH

Post by hplhd »

have you talked to russ? i see he has an adapter of some kind for foot clutchs. looks top shelf.
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

You have 2 good answers!--1st Make-sure the PUSHROD is the correct length!/When you had your kick cover off ,The fork that pushes on the Throwout ,was it 1-piece or did it have a slot in the middle!---The ones with the slot have a p-rod with a TIT on the end of it that fits into the slot.IF you squeeze your clutch cable /As was said The routing is Funky to me also. ./Anyway you get no pull on the arm!.Did you try tightening the center adj. nut until it hit & then lock the nut?/If yes Then your definitely loosing it in the cable.If you want to run a rocker Check the K-BASE & READ!.There not hard to set-up!/But that last pic. sure looks like it wouldn't work.If you don't have a rod the chain is good (REMEMBER all them Plates have to do is move 3/16 to a 1/4-inch For the clutch to work.IF you put a big adjustable on the tranny rod on top & just try to pull it to the front of bike IF you can move it a 1/4-inch.I would be opening the kicker & make-sure you have the correct P-Rod & Throw-bering on the trans!.--There are 2 types of throwout berings the new CRAPPY ones & the OEM ones.It takes ALOT to break a T-Bering!/But a friend of mine got a V-twin one & a roller fell out of it!--(& you think HOW is it even possible?/But QUALITY parts for the old gals are really JUNK!---CHECK with the VENDORS listed on this forum /You can get OEM berings still/& find out what size P-rod for the clutch you need is.---Respectfully---Richie
bitsapan
52 Panhead
BSA Bantem 175

Post by bitsapan »

Hi Richie, thanks for the imput, gave me a bit too think about.

I had a hydraulic clutch before, now I have cable, with my new Right Side Electric Start. 2 plates with 3 ball bearings.
I have now found out that there are several types of clutch and pushrods for panheads, so that is another consideration.
I have got the clutch to work, but it is very heavy. I have good contact with the adjuster screw, and can adjust as I see fit.
I would`nt like too use it on a lever in town. And I think it would be very heavy to use as a suicide clutch. The bike was drag raced for a while, so maybe that is why the heavy clutch, and hydraulics.....

hplhd, yeah I have seen the adapter, but I dont have any foot pegs that are remotely like original, so it looks like more improvisation :?

Been getting a bit miserable with the clutch, so I put oil in her, connected the electrics and started her. FANTASTIC!!!! She started VERY easy. A real high too hear her run again. She was putting 16 amps into my new antigravity battery, thats too much. So something else to look into :(

Going to have a little break from her now. She har been taking all my time. But great too see that my electrics worked and the electric start.

Thanks for the input guys, All the best steve
Schwee
Bikes: 57 Pan, 42 WLA

Post by Schwee »

I highly recommend a rod over a chain for the clutch linkage.
Although the dog chain looks really good, it will hang down and vibrate against the belt cover, leaving its mark.
mr. z
Bikes: Franken pan, '49 frame, '50 FL transmission, S&S cases,cylinders, '46 knuck forks, assigned VIN

Post by mr. z »

[quote="Schwee"]I highly recommend a rod over a chain for the clutch linkage.
Although the dog chain looks really good, it will hang down and vibrate against the belt cover, leaving its mark.

I agree, that dog chain bullshit is for the birds, go to a guy called easyruss on ebay, he has the correct type of NOS(new old stock) OEM clutch pull rods you should use.

And just for your information, I know guys that insist on going to Wal Mart to buy dog chains for clutch pulls, they are all made in China now, the metal is so weak in the rings and the links themselves that they pull apart and/or break in a very short time....
Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea »

I'm sure Russ has plenty of pics that show cable routing to his starter, could you move the cable adjuster closer to the pedal to get rid of some of the extra length?
Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea »

http://4speedelectricstart.com/images/pegtigwelded.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Here's the cable mount for the rocker, could you adapt it to your lever?

Return to “Clutch & Mousetrap”