Anti-rattle clutch plates yes or no

thebeast
Bikes: 1949 FL
2002 FLSTC

Anti-rattle clutch plates yes or no

Post by thebeast »

49FL ( aka the beast), rocker clutch,steel plates with no noise buffers.
Other than the noise, is there any reason to run plates with the rattlers? Any smoother clutch action?
Any particular brand recommended other than HD?
Only positive thing is that you can hear the plates are indeed seperating. So can everyone else!
Thanks, James
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Re: Anti-rattle clutch plates yes or no

Post by 58flh »

The beast----I use the Anti-rattlers with the balls removed!/As for good discs /I always used OEM or Barnetts.However I took a chance on some -(ENERGY ONE Discs)--there kevlar lined & I never had a better working clutch in all these yrs.The price was $72 from JP-CYCLE 4yrs ago.I ride 2-up 70% of the time & I just got her up & going for about 3-weeks now & NOT A HINT of DISC WEAR!.They came with steel-plates to!/But my Rattlers are perfect So I used them.The instructions say to soak the discs in ATF for 15-min. & wipe dry & install.I let them soak overnight/Then I wiped them dry.As I said before My clutch never worked better!--It would kick-ass on a rocker set-up.--Respectfully---Richie
thebeast
2002 FLSTC

Post by thebeast »

58flh
Thanks for your advice on the Kevlar plates.
James
thebeast
2002 FLSTC

Post by thebeast »

58FLH
Mine at one time had rattlers but where removed for some reason.All that is left are the holes where the rattlers attached. Are plates that come with rattlers or plates that come without rattlers the same dimension in the slots that run in the clutch hub? Just wondering if I got the set you mentioned would they be any quieter than what I have now. Maybe mine are too "loose" in the basket?
My clutch seems to be working fine otherwise. The only upgrade being different springs listed as "police".
Thanks again, James
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

James---Yes the steels are the same size that ride in the channel.What I did was lightly file any sharp-90 degree corner on the plates & I drilled the Discs 1/64 larger on the holes!--This lets everything move & not get stuck to the point you cant get neautral at a stopped red light.----Richie
docmel

Post by docmel »

Im not big on fancy clutch plates for out 4 speeds, but as said earleer, I went kevlar plates one day on a clutch rebuild, and its the best thing outside of a 5 finger clutch hub that I have used on our setups. Bullet proof (yes a pun intended) and smooth
thebeast
2002 FLSTC

Post by thebeast »

Found a set in the J&P catalog 58flh recommended.
Thanks to docmel also.
James
Bikes: 1948 FL 74in Panhead Chopper , 1958 Zundapp Citation 500

Post by 108 »

Several years ago I removed the anti-rattle balls and springs from my steel plates on my '48FL rocker clutch. I finally realized the spring pressure was causing the plates to grip the lugs in the drum, preventing the plates and discs from separating immediately when the clutch was disengaged. I then squished the ball holders until the clearance matched the other drive lugs. The benefit was quicker spin-down for quiet shifts into first gear, and cleaner easier shifts on the road. The only time any rattle is noticeable / objectionable is while holding it gear at a long stop light... so just wait in neutral.
thebeast
2002 FLSTC

Post by thebeast »

That's the main reason I put up with the rattling, I know the plates ain't sticking. Just didn't know if the rocker clutch is smoother with or without the balls.
I'm not crazy about being in neutral at stop lights. Guess I'm paranoid about being clipped from behind by some innatentive boob! Done happened once years ago. Would rather be in gear and ready to make a move!
Thanks, James

Return to “Clutch & Mousetrap”