Installing Tamer

gilb
Bikes: 42 Flathead U, 53 Panhead, 2011 Roadglide

Installing Tamer

Post by gilb »

Installing a tamer in my 53 Panhead. Seems like the clutch pushrod is not out far enough, after install. Does anyone know, what the problem might be? Also the instructions say if your belt drive is a Karata, don't use the metal plate. I do not think this is a Karata, but I am not sure what mine is, since I bought it that way. I have included photos, thanks for any help you can provide. Also any suggestion as to how tight the belt should be. I can get a !/2" deflection, but that is pushing upward quite hard on it.
Gilb
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bigincher
Former member
Bikes: 1941/59 EL
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Re: Installing Tamer

Post by Bigincher »

If you grab the belt at mid-point between sprockets and are able to twist it 90 degrees, so the flat side is facing you- the tension will be correct. Not more than 90 degrees, nor less. For those who may be skeptical of this method, give it a try sometime.
Equally important as belt tension is that the sprockets are in alignment to each other.
caschnd1
Bikes: 1949 FL Chopper

Post by caschnd1 »

I used to use a tamer. My clutch push rod stuck out about the same distance as yours. It worked just fine like that. Also, use the inner steel plate that came with the tamer kit if the plate with the 10 holes is not recessed below the steel surface that contacts the first friction plate.

Regarding twisting the belt to check tension... Won't work with my belt drive. My belt is carbon fiber (not Kevlar) reinforced. It will bend around the pulleys easily, but it will not twist at all. This is the first belt I've run into that won't twist.

-Craig
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

I know 2-inches is alot!--It should be 1/2-inch/thats what I set a few to & no problems!--As Bigincher said the twist method puts you in the ballpark!--However Thanks CRAIG for the info on the KEVLAR BELTS!--I did not know that.Also I was looking at your pics. & it looks like you need new guide-pins,-I see alot of snags on quite a few!-& that wont help you just Piss you off.-- hope this helps----Respectfully----RICHIE
nmaineron
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1995 fxsts,1963 fl project in progress

Post by nmaineron »

You should really think about a new clutch hub or get the studs replaced...
1962FLH
Bikes: 1945EL project
1962FLH
1974FLH

Post by 1962FLH »

I see nothing wrong with his clutch hub and only one stud that need attention. However it could be that my computer does not show enough detail and needs replaced. I doubt it’s my eyes, LOL good luck with your belt setup.
PanPal
Bikes: 50 EL chopper
44 U that looks like a 37.
60 FLH (Sold)
59 FLH (Sold)
58 FL (Sold)
08 CVO Road King

Post by PanPal »

The push rod looks odd. I thought the end should be crowned. That one looks dished out like the throw out bearing is locked up.
And that hub and the studs look alright to me. I prefer the Harley original stud material to whatever monkey metal you may get from some of the aftermarket sources.
gilb
Bikes: 42 Flathead U, 53 Panhead, 2011 Roadglide

Post by gilb »

Thanks for all the responses. I think the photo of the clutch hub studs, makes it look a lot worse than it is. Looks rusted and bad shape, but really not that bad. I was able to adjust the belt to be able to turn it to 90 degrees, but trans is actually as far forward as the slots allow. It takes some effort to get it to the 90 degrees, however. The aliginment seems to be good, I held a straightedge on the clutch basket and measured front and rear of the engine sprocket and they were the same. The push rod seems to adjust OK, was just concerned that it was not out far enough. What you see in the photo is all the way out. I was just worried if the seal would be OK. I will check it here and there to make sure there is no leak. I previously used a Ram Jet, however it broke, using it in the "A" position, as there just did not seem to be enough space to get the clips on. Even broke a new (Ram Jet) before installing the tamer, trying to get those clips to seat in their groove. Hopefully the tamer will be the answer.
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

I've never needed or felt the need for a "tamer" on any bike. When the belt is properly aligned it all works just fine.
caschnd1
Bikes: 1949 FL Chopper

Post by caschnd1 »

Richie, the comment I made was for Carbon Fiber belts. NOT Kevlar belts. The Kevlar belts will twist easily. Carbon Fiber belts are not very common yet.

Also agree that when engine and trans are well aligned, the tamer isn't needed. I removed mine after Phil Ross gave me that lecture.

-Craig
49bones
Bikes: 1957 FL. Was very original but is now sold.
58 PanShovel

Post by 49bones »

gilb wrote:Installing a tamer in my 53 Panhead. Seems like the clutch pushrod is not out far enough, after install. Does anyone know, what the problem might be? Also the instructions say if your belt drive is a Karata, don't use the metal plate. I do not think this is a Karata, but I am not sure what mine is, since I bought it that way. I have included photos, thanks for any help you can provide. Also any suggestion as to how tight the belt should be. I can get a !/2" deflection, but that is pushing upward quite hard on it.
Gilb
Wow that motor looks clean hiding away in the background!
Bigincher
Former member
Bikes: 1941/59 EL
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

I agree that the pushrod doesn't look right. Should stick out a little more.
If you're worried about the seal, there's enough depth to stack two of them in the nut.
Did you say the clutch is functioning properly?
If all is well, no worries...

How about a few more pics of the rest of the bike? If it's as clean as the engine case, it must sparkle!
Not there's anything wrong with that..... ;-)

Return to “Clutch & Mousetrap”