Clutch hub and shell

PanRider
Bikes: 1962 Duo-Glide Panhead
2005 Road King Classic

Clutch hub and shell

Post by PanRider »

I'm tearing my 62 pan down. It has a belt drive. I've never worked with a belt drive before. I've removed the clutch hub and the shell remains attached. I see there is a retainer inside the hub I'm guesses is holding them together. I don't want to break anything. How do I remove the plastic retainer to get the hub apart from the shell?
Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Re: Clutch hub and shell

Post by Panacea »

some hubs have three small "C" clips on the studs, others have three small coil springs.
PanRider
2005 Road King Classic

Post by PanRider »

OK. I see the c clips. They are tiny. I'll see if I can get them off. By taking them off I'm assuming the black retainer will then come off. Hard to see how that works but will give it a shot. Here's a pic of what I have.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
james
Bikes: 1952 FL
2020 Honda Super Cub

Post by james »

You can pull the clutch basket off the hub to get access to the clips. The retainer keeps the roller bearing cage on the hub.
Wonder if that's one of those clutch "Tamers", usually the retainer is metal.

Jim
hplhd
Bikes: 1998 heritage springer
1959 FLH

Post by hplhd »

panrider, i pulle mined (c clips) off with a little dental pick. i found some at like ace hardware or tractor supply to replace them.
PanRider
2005 Road King Classic

Post by PanRider »

hplhd and Panacea and Jim, thanks. Found the clips. Had two. That looked like all there should be, correct? One was a bit bent already and easier to get out. I have a tool to get those type of clips out but they were too small for my tool so I struggled with a couple small screw drivers. They were a bear. I can see where the dental tool would be nice. I should probably get a couple new clips so thanks for the heads up as to where to get them. Still wasn't sure how the retainer came out but eventually got the screwdrivers under it and pried it out, not without chipping the plastic.
I'm assuming this retainer keeps the hub and shell running true when engaging he clutch. I didn't have anything like this on my 58 or 59, both chain and compensating sprocket primaries though.
Here is a pic of the retainer resting on the clutch hub studs.
I appreciate your help.
Kim
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea »

Instead of prying on the tamer you could just pull the shell out about a half inch (any more and you may drop some rollers if you have the long roller set-up) then push it back and grab the tamer with your fingers...You may as well lift the shell off any way, now's the time to clean and lightly grease the bearings

Return to “Clutch & Mousetrap”