drinner-okc
Bikes: 1965 ElectraGlide
1953 HydraGlide
Pan Super Glide
47 EL Knucklehead w/ Sidecar (Basket)

Mousetrap Location for 65-67

Post by drinner-okc »

Did not want to Hijack the post on Mousetrap location for a 60, so:
I bought my 65 as a basket in 72, one of the pieces I did not get was the Rear Exhaust Cross-Over Pipe. I rode with single exhaust for 3+ years. I was working at a H-D dealer when Harley closed out Panhead parts. I bought a complete exhaust system, including a pair of Super Quiet Fishtail Mufflers.
When I installed the dual exhaust, the Clutch Pull Rod drug the top of the cross-over. Enough that I've had to replace the rod. I raised the Mousetrap so it just barely clears the gas tank when it travels, about 1/8" clearance. Now the rod barely touches the exhaust. Interesting, the cross-over pipe is indented on the bottom, right where the rod would be if it was indented on top.
Does anyone have an original or unmolested 65 with the cross-over indented on top? I've always wondered if they made 2 versions, 65-67 for Mousetrap Bikes and 68-69 for Mousetrap Eliminator bikes, and the -65 part I bought was the latter. I have a spare (swapmeet find) cross-over that is also indented on the bottom.
Of the 4) 65's in our group, one has single exhaust, one has Tru-Duals & one has a new aftermarket cross-over, & mine.
kfelt
Bikes: '65 ElectraGlide
'56 BMW R69
'87 Heritage Softail

Re: Mousetrap Location for 65-67

Post by kfelt »

My '65 also has stock duals with crossover and Super Quiet mufflers. Top of mousetrap (chrome cover) is 1/2 inch from bottom of gas tank. Rod is about 1/4 inch from top of crossover pipe with the front end of rod on top hole in mousetrap. I did move mousetrap up slightly because the rod was rubbing on pipe. When the rod wobbles from vibration it will still touch pipe a little, just enough to mar the pipe but not much.

Return to “Clutch & Mousetrap”