clutch issues

Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

clutch issues

Post by Panacea »

I've read thru all the clutch related posts and am still curious,. When the bike is running with the tranny in neutral,clutch lever in, should the hub completely stop spinning? I can stop mine with my boot and once stopped, hold it still with my hand, but it doesn't stop enough for a good first gear without a clunk. Down shifting into first when rolling to a stop is also affected. I've got plenty of releasing action so maybe a new hub is in order? Mike
PeterRytter
Inactive member

Post by PeterRytter »

You dont tell anything about your primary... Is it chain or belt ??

I know that a belt kan be a bi... to get to work. Anything have to be 100% lined up. Also the springs need to be adjustet proberly

I know a little trick from when i was driving with a 3" open belt. Take out the all the plates from the clutch and then drill the holes in the plates a size bigger than they are, this will cause them to release easier !!

But anyway, go for the alignment and afjusting first !!
Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea »

It's a 1 1/2" belt which when spinning lines up perfect on the front sprocket. Has anyone noticed if their hub completely stops when using the clutch in neutral? My plates and steels seem good, but I'll have to do something to improve disengagement. Don't want to screw up the tranny. Mike
fourthgear
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Post by fourthgear »

If you can stop it and hold it with your hand ( could be a dangerous thing to do ) Its releasing enough to shift correctly . Depends on how bad its clunking , I think most clunk some what when down shifting or going into first from neutral . if you can move the bike forward and back on a level surface with the motor running in first gear , clutch disengaged and meet little resistance , your clutch is disengaging. When not disengaging properly , you get what is called clutch creep , where the bike wants to move forward , some times a jerky motion. If you think you have a real bad jumpy kinda clunk , you might want to inspect the tranny shifter forks and or shifting clutches. The trans gear sets do need a little rotation to shift properly.

Post by Guest »

Thanks for the reply Fourthgear,By the way, do you know of a source for good front end parts? I need to put my tubes back to the stock length. I suppose JP is all taiwan stuff...Mike
lockdoc
Inactive member
Bikes: 65 Panhead in a 70 FLH frame

Post by lockdoc »

I have the same belt drive setup. When I got my bike I couldn't put in in gear while running without grabbing. I found there was oil on the clutches so I replaced them and also replaced the stock hub bearing set with the full length bearing setup which really helped with the jerking I would have while idling with the clutch disengaged. My hub would move in and out a lot while disengaged before hand. And yes, mine spins while engaged or disengaged.
VintageTwin
Bikes: '46 Knuck. '57 Panhead, '59 Panhead

Post by VintageTwin »

Ben @ Primo told me this clutch pack would stop any and all problems forever. Check out the in-stall:
http://www.riveraengineering.com/PC-100 ... ctions.pdf

Return to “Clutch & Mousetrap”