Who makes a good 3 stud clutch hub?

kehughes
Bikes: "50 FL Panhead, '47 WL, '57 165cc

Who makes a good 3 stud clutch hub?

Post by kehughes »

V-twin ? MID-USA? Any other makes? I need to buy a new one.

Thanks for your help.
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Re: Who makes a good 3 stud clutch hub?

Post by 58flh »

Krhues----I have installed aftermarket 3-studs & After the dryfit & new rollers -I put it in a vice with 3-discs on it -spread a 1/2-inch apart & cheked for straightness of studs!,Once that was set A spot weld on the back of the pins Keeps em in proper location./Then I opened the cluth-discs /--1/64 over on the stud holes.--Check the plates ^ use a file for any sharp-corners that travel in the hub!--So with some minor massaging They work GREAT!--Also put a little grease in every chanel on the hub--after you push the first plate in/-Wipe any grease that oozes out.--Its done!----Good-luck---Richie 8) 8)
1951 adam
Bikes: 1951 panhead , 1995 dyna

Post by 1951 adam »

Try and find a good OE unit
Adam
james
Bikes: 1952 FL
2020 Honda Super Cub

Post by james »

Just to see what would happen I asked the local Harley dealer if they had a oem clutch hub.
They put it on a locater and found me a new oem 3 stud clutch hub in California. Took a while to get it and I'm sure I paid too much but having chrome cash dollars from Harley Davidson Visa sure makes buying parts less painful.
Jim
Bigincher
Former member
Bikes: 1941/59 EL
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

I don't remember what particular part I was looking for, oh wait--- it was the special screw for the tail light lens on my '77FLH. I had the HD shop search around, found a pack of 10 of them at a HD/Tractor dealer in North Dakota somewhere. I got their number, called them up, and bought all of the screws that they had in stock. I think they were around 49 cents a piece. Now, if a second one comes loose and falls out in the 26 years I've been riding that bike, I'll have a replacement..... and if anyone else needs one, they have to call me...! :)
1951 adam

Post by 1951 adam »

The problem with a lot of dealers is they do annual parts returns, if an item is not being used it gets sent back. There's also the company that bought up old inventory from HD, that's another possibility for obsolete parts. Stuffs out there , just have to look
Adam
PanJud
Bikes: 1962 Duo Glide
1999 Road King

Post by PanJud »

Question: If going aftermarket, are there any drawbacks to a 5 stud vs 3?
Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea »

Some say the five stud is impossible to get a uniform adjustment, the "five legged table" analogy". I've only owned one but had no issues with it...Mike
Bigincher
Former member
Bikes: 1941/59 EL
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

I tried the 5-stud on my '41 pan, when I went through everything closely about 5 years ago. One of the adjuster nuts doesn't quite want to tighten the same as the rest, but it sure doesn't hurt anything. Thing is, when all the plates and disks are new or reconditioned, and everything cleaned up, you really don't notice a difference between a 3-stud or a 5-stud.
But my vote would still be to try to find a good OEM clutch hub. If you see one being sold because of ribs worn into the studs, that's a good one to buy cheap and replace all the studs; it's not a hard job. But also examine the bearing surface closely before buying. Swap meets are usually full of these things...
itsRICH
Bikes: 1948 Panhead chopper kit bike

Post by itsRICH »

i run the 5 stud from JP cyc, didn't have a hard time adjusting it, once I figured out what I was doing. I did have to decrease the 13/64 gap from the friction plate the pressure plate after she got broken in a bit, it feels like a hydraulic clutch to me, i like it. I just need to lube the cable a bit more. ive never used a 3 stud one and only rode one other bike. so don't have a vast experience for comparison. (its a pain in the ass to type with one hand) had surgery on the 23rd cant use left hand for a few weeks...no riding or maintenance
1951 adam

Post by 1951 adam »

My personal feeling is the 5 stud is not nessasery and is marketed as a "more is better" type thing. There's a lot of stuff on the market that's not really nessasery but exists in an urban legend sense, you know the " my buddy has one and..." If the clutch holds and releases , and doesn't slip under load with a 3 stud and proper set up, why 5? I've never had an issue , and that's with 2 shovels and 2 pans I've owned. Find a used hub, fix it and run it. Nothing you'll ever buy from JP cycle can compare to the real deal.
Adam

Return to “Clutch & Mousetrap”