Clutch, Kicker or Clutch Control Problem?!?!

Rib423
Bikes: '54 Panhead & '49 Flathead

Clutch, Kicker or Clutch Control Problem?!?!

Post by Rib423 »

Hi. This is my second post and I'm new to Pans. I've got a '54 Pan in what I think is a '58 frame. My first post I was askin about tightening the drive chain and thanks to everyone's help, I got that done (primary chain first!). Before I tightened the chains, the two rides I had on the bike (just got it a month ago) the second ride I noticed the clutch cable not disengaging properly. So, since the manuel (I ditched the Clymer and downloaded the two that were recommended) said to check and possibly adjust the clutch control, I did that. Not sure I did it correctly cause it seems to have the same problem as before. Once you pull the handclutch, it doesn't disengage unless you do it manuelely to the mousetrap.

Before I did all this, when I'd go to start the bike the kicker sometimes had a lot of resistance on the way down then other times it would go down too easy and make a clicking sound at the bottom. Now it's doing both those things more than it kicks down like it's suppose to on a good compression kick. It always ratchets back up though.

I think i might have two separate problems, one being the shifter adjustment and two, could I have helped mess up a previous problem with the kicker when I moved the tranny adjusting the primary chain?? I see there's a ton of info on both topics, I just need to know if I should dig into the kicker too?? I didn't mess with the push rod adusting screw, etc cause the clutch lever distance from the foot shifter housing was correct. I don't need to dig into that do I? Help! I took the day off to wrench on the bike and have hardly gotten anywhere!
jdpan
Bikes: 1952 Custom swingarm panhead

Re: Clutch, Kicker or Clutch Control Problem?!?!

Post by jdpan »

Sounds like your clutch springs might need to be looked at.... Pull the large derby cover off the primary and adjust according to your manual.
Bigincher
Former member
Bikes: 1941/59 EL
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

If you moved the transmission back to take the slack out of the primary chain, you may have to make the appropriate and corresponding adjustment to the clutch rod from the mousetrap to the clutch arm.
Also be sure there is some free play in the clutch pushrod adjuster screw.
Rib423

Post by Rib423 »

Mine has five spring tension adjuster nuts and the manuel shows three. Outside of the two additional should this change anything?

How should I notice the freeplay in the pushrod adjusting screw? It seems tight.
Bigincher
Former member
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

Rib423 wrote:Mine has five spring tension adjuster nuts and the manuel shows three. Outside of the two additional should this change anything?
How should I notice the freeplay in the pushrod adjusting screw? It seems tight.
Aftermarket hubs are available with 5 adjuster nuts. Personally, I don't think having 5 is any advantage, but not detrimental either.
The pushrod adjuster screw should not be bottomed out on the pushrod, or the throwout bearing will fail prematurely. If you loosen the jam nut, screw the adjuster screw in until it touches, then back off to where it was and retighten the jam nut. Memory is telling me 1/4 turn, but please check the manual.....
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

DEF> If the Kicker is slipping, you have to tighten the 3ADJ. nuts for the springs!--Assuming you still have the 3 ADJ. hud set-up!. Go a half turn on each ,you will feel them click or stop when they hit the dimple. Try to kick--IF it still slipping GO another half-turn until you can repeatedly kick the bike without the kicker slipping!-(stop there). Loosen the center nut & tighten the screw until it just touches the rod!-(youll feel it).--Lock the nut!, Now pull on the clutch & Watch for disengagement & engagement when released!. If you have alot of play at the lever ,you have to ADJ. the cable & mousetrap ADJ.-(1 at a time). Once you achieve Disengagement & engagement ,watch the cluth discs for even engagement!---If they are engageing crooked.or not evenly ,you may have to pull the friction & steel discs & clean everything!. Make sure they slide on one by 1 with no hangups especially on the steels. if you have any hangups--DRILL the holes 1/64 over & hit the steels with a file where they fit in the channel-guide. They should all slide flawlessly!--Now lightly grease the channels in the hub for the steels!-(LIGHTLY) After you push the first one in wipe off all excess grease & your ready to put discs back in!.--IF you had to do this then you have to set the spring tension AGAIN AS BSFORE ,so KICKER wont SLIP. Continue with other ADJ. until all engage & disengage. FREEPLAY at the LEVER should be an 1/8 to a 1/4--I prefer an 1/8.--GOOD-LUCK & hope this helps!--REMEMBER!-(YOU MIGHT NOT HAVE TO TAKE YOUR WHOLE CLUTCH APART!)--JUST TIGHTEN the SPRING-PRESSURE NUTS evenly until it dont slip!.---RICHIE 8)
Rib423

Post by Rib423 »

If my hub has 5 adjuster nuts, I still do everything you mentioned just tighten two additional nuts correct?
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

RIB!---YES DO the same way, you just have 2 more nuts to deal with!.----RICHIE 8)
Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea »

Also, if you moved the tranny back you might need to lengthen the rod that goes from the mousetrap to the release lever.
Bigincher
Former member
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

Panacea wrote:Also, if you moved the tranny back you might need to lengthen the rod that goes from the mousetrap to the release lever.
That's what I was thinking, probably as simple as that...
Rib423

Post by Rib423 »

When trying to adjust the clutch rod, how do you get the 1/2" of free play in the clutch accuating lever that it talks about? Not matter how far I unscrewed the rod, there never seemed to be any slack in it. I unscrewed it all the way out and the lever was quite a ways back but there didn't seem to be any free play? How do I gauge the free play?
Rib423

Post by Rib423 »

I unscrewed the rod out all the way and the lever is back as far as it will go. There doesn't seem to be any real free play or slack in it (it's back all the way and when you push it forward, it's the same resistance all the way through. As is sits without the rod screwed in, the length now measures 4 3/8", so pretty close to the 4 1/4" that the manuel recommends. As I was unscrewing the rod, the lever got to a point where it stopped and didn't go back further and I kept unscrewing the rod. do I screw the rod back in and adjust the length to 4 1/4" by tightening the pushrod adjusting screw? The reference to free play is throwing me off.

Return to “Clutch & Mousetrap”