Second Gear Hard to Find

RexEstes
Bikes: 48 Panhead
36 Flathead in pieces

Second Gear Hard to Find

Post by RexEstes »

Hey,
Got a 48 Pan, foot clutch (trestle style), tank shift. I recently bit the bullet and dropped $$ on a Riva clutch and now that its installed, I'm having hard time getting it into second gear.
I'll explain: Going from first with a hard push into second "clunk, chink, grind," blow by second then "clunk , chink grind.." Once I've past second on the shift gate, I repeat the process but pulling down, rather than pushing the lever forward. Not until I’ve lost my momentum and first gear seems to be the correct gear, will it go into second.
1st, 3rd, 4th, N are butter...

Rex
Cotten
Bikes: -

Re: Second Gear Hard to Find

Post by Cotten »

Rex!

At least you have narrowed it down to the clutch.
You kept the original, I hope?

....Cotten
PS: Do you have your pedal dampener loose, or enduro tight?
1950Panhead
Bikes: 1950Panhead

Post by 1950Panhead »

I recently bit the bullet and dropped $$ on a Riva clutch
Don't bite any more bullets.
It sounds like your clutch is dragging (not fully releasing)
Check the center adjusting screw is 1/4 to 1/2 turn loose.
Did you just buy friction plates or other clutch parts?
Jerry
RexEstes
36 Flathead in pieces

Post by RexEstes »

Jerry:
I'll screw with it some more but I feel like the center nut is as loose as it should be(in other words, i feel its adjusted properly). It came as a package deal so the friction plates came with the clutch assembly.

Cotton:
Not sure what a pedal dampener is -- the pedal is directly connected to a tie rod that goes to the cluch arm on the tranny. and yes, I kept the old clutch but man this Rivera cluch is so smooth on the release.
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

Rex!

If you have the original "treadle" pedal, then it has a friction dampener upon the back of it.

If it is set too stiff, it robs feel for the clutch disengagement.

....Cotten
RexEstes
36 Flathead in pieces

Post by RexEstes »

ok, so my description may be incorrect, its not the original heal toe suicide style clutch, its a spring assisted foot lever -- push it in-- spring pulls it back. -- no friction dampener
awander
Bikes: '52 FL
'64 FLH

Post by awander »

Rex:

What you have IS the "suicide" type clutch.

the original heel-toe unit with the friction dampener is the one that lets you live.
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

A variety of things can cause your issue. Primary (either belt or chain!) too tight, plates not moving freely within the clutch drum, plates not moving freely on clutch studs, etc. Any of those can be an issue no matter how the center screw is adjusted. Linkage rod to the pedal too tight? If it worked before either the clutch componnents are not working correctly or you changed something during installation.
You will need to inspect each part and verify it is working correctly.
Good luck
Robbie
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

REX!---You should kneel beside the clutch basket & watch as the clutch is engaging & disengaging!,--You might have to tighten a ADJ. nut more then the others to get a nice even FULL disengagement!--AS RUBONE pointed out check all friction plates & steels for smooth in & out operation1--If you feel any bind, you can open the holes on the friction plates a little more!--Drill them 1/64 over to start)-Do all of them!--For the steels, Make-sure basket is clean & see how they slide in the channels., If tight or some binding here & there, you can smooth the steels with a file!--Also check drum for burrs or sharp-edges.,you can file this also!--Dont go wild on it -Just enuff to have smooth in & out operation with no binding.After you can LIGHTLY grease the channels in the basket,-press a steel-plate in & wipeoff excess, Now you can install the remainder of parts!--As long as she disengages & engages evenly you should have no troubles!---This is common pratice when installing new friction plates & Steels!---Good-Luck --RICHIE
RexEstes
36 Flathead in pieces

Post by RexEstes »

Ok, so I went back to check the clutch throw just to be sure that it was properly disengaging but this time, rather than pulling the tin, I pulled the derby cover and I found my issue. With the outer primary off-- it was adjusted properly but with it on, the screws on the derby cover were acting like a mobile machine shop and turning my new aluminim clutch pressure plate. I put about 50mi on it last night with the cover off and there was not a single issue -- aside from the minor interference issue, the clutch works like a dream.

I'll leave the cover off for now until I can wrangle up some new screws that are a few threads shorter and in the mean time -- I'll let Rivera know of the issue.
photo.jpg
clutch.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Clutch & Mousetrap”