Clutch Release Shaft (Finger) Questions

rozemab
Bikes: 1958 Duo Glide

Clutch Release Shaft (Finger) Questions

Post by rozemab »

Hello,

I'm trying to install a reproduction SS cycle kicker cover and the clutch release shaft appears to be too short. The c-clip groove does not protrude below the second boss in the cover.

The third picture is the SS repro cover with the shaft installed in it. Notice the c-clip groove is inside the second boss and I have not installed the thrust washer.

The second picture is the current kicker cover (not factory!) with the shaft installed. I have left out the thrust washer in the picture.

I was wondering if someone had a clutch shaft and could measure the distance between the two arrows in the first picture? This will help me determine if the SS Cycle kicker cover is the problem or if the clutch shaft is the issue.

The clutch shaft I want to buy is HD pn 37074-38A. (The current kicker cover is not factory thus the clutch shaft could be 'unique' and designed only for their cover.)

thanks, Brian
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Hog54
Inactive member
Bikes: 1954 Panhead
1980 Lowrider

Re: Clutch Release Shaft (Finger) Questions

Post by Hog54 »

Well if you look,the second boss on the new cover is definitely wider than the stock cover.
rozemab

Post by rozemab »

Hog54 wrote:Well if you look,the second boss on the new cover is definitely wider than the stock cover.
yes, I saw that too. Everything about the cover is solid. I'm impressed with the cover and its design.

I suspect a genuine 37074-38A part is longer than the shaft I have, Before I order it, I wanted to see if someone had a HD shaft and could measure it for me.
panhead_kicker
Bikes: Pan
FLHP Evo
E-H Super X
Chubble head hack
Servi-car
Topper(s)
Model 64D (Hey its got 3 wheels!)

Post by panhead_kicker »

rozemab wrote: I was wondering if someone had a clutch shaft and could measure the distance between the two arrows in the first picture? T
I measured ~.975 on four shafts that used the circlip. I think at least one is OEM. They all fit nicely in OEM covers from Knuck to Shovel.
rozemab

Post by rozemab »

panhead_kicker wrote: I measured ~.975 on four shafts that used the circlip. I think at least one is OEM. They all fit nicely in OEM covers from Knuck to Shovel.
panhead_kicker,

Thanks! I measured the dimension too on the clutch shaft I have and it is .825 !!! The .150 will make a difference because the groove should extend below the second boss with the thrust washer installed.

The kicker cover I have on my tranny now is the chrome 'flat' face 3rd party. Obviously they had a different design than factory.

Brian

Return to “Clutch & Mousetrap”