Fourth Gear Blues....

tcb-1
Inactive member
Bikes: 1950 FL

Fourth Gear Blues....

Post by tcb-1 »

Got just about all the bugs worked out on my '50.... knock on wood, but one.

She shifts flawlessly through 1 through 3 and back again with minimal effort (after things have warmed up). However, fourth is an issue.

The only way I can get it into and to stay in fourth is to
-shift directly into fourth from third without clutch, and
-rev the engine up after it's in fourth

It seems to catch as the revs come down, but after the second or third try.

Any ideas? I adjusted the linkage a bit, but then that puts 1 through third out of whack. :(
Robert Luland
Bikes: 1922 J, 1922 JD, 1937 ULH, 1946FL 1948FL, 1957FL, 1960FLH, 1965XLCH, 1995 FLHT

Re: Fourth Gear Blues....

Post by Robert Luland »

Did ya use a indexing tool on the shifter forks? If ya did, you didn't do it right.
tcb-1
Inactive member

Post by tcb-1 »

Nope, didn't do that Rob. As far as I know, the tranny and clutch has never been out of the bike, so I was figuring it was the linkage.

Guess I need to be looking for indexing tool, eh?
CaptMike
Bikes: 1998 Roadglide, 1957 FLH

Post by CaptMike »

Sounds like 3rd is probably deep (and 4th is shallow). Did you make sure the forks were tight? Put wheel bearing grease on the shifting fork rod and you can very carefully remove the top and the forks will stay in place.

How about your shifting fork "hats" (rollers)?
Robert Luland
Bikes: 1922 J, 1922 JD, 1937 ULH, 1946FL 1948FL, 1957FL, 1960FLH, 1965XLCH, 1995 FLHT

Post by Robert Luland »

Sorry, I was under the imprestion that you rebulit the tranny. Bob L
Hauula Pan
Bikes: 1952 FL

Post by Hauula Pan »

It does sound like either the shift forks are off a bit, or the ratchet drum is 1 tooth off. If you weren't into the trans. was someone before you possibly? Did it work OK before. Other possibility if no one's been inside the trans. is a bent fork. Also re-check the clutch & linkage adjustments again. But is sure sounds like its inside the box.
BART
Bikes: 1950 FL (50FL11086), 1976 FXE, 1990 FLSTC, 1987 XLH, 1992 XLH, 2000 FLSC, 2007 FLTR

Post by BART »

I had a similar problem on my former '50EL. Here is what my problem was: The vertical linkage from the transmission that the shift rod fits into had a worn hole. The hole was no longer round resulting in excess play. The result was the same shifting problem you are experiencing.

BART
Hog54
Inactive member
Bikes: 1954 Panhead
1980 Lowrider

Post by Hog54 »

I had the end of my shifter fork shaft break off once where the little set screw held it in and the shaft popped out rubbing against the back of the sprocket which was the only thing keeping it from coming all the way out,dropping the forks.It was kind of hard to see.The other end dropped down a tiny bit and made shifting a little hard.
Bosheff
Bikes: 65 FLH 82 FLH

Post by Bosheff »

Can ya get it all the way in 4th without the engine runnin?....bosheff
tcb-1
Inactive member

Post by tcb-1 »

Yep, I can get it into gear without the engine running. If I'm rolling it around the garage, I can engage each gear, just seem to be an issue while in motion.

I have even tried performing a proper foot clutch application, dropping the rev, shifting it into fourth, disengaging the clutch, and bring the revs up..... still, fourth doesn't properly engage.

I also looked for any worn bracketry (egg shaped instead of circular holes, etc.) but all "seems" tight.
oldPANyoungowner
Inactive member
Bikes: 1951 panhead/ 1965 swing arm frame

Post by oldPANyoungowner »

What gear are you in when adjusting the linkage? It says use second gear in my old manual.
Bosheff
Bikes: 65 FLH 82 FLH

Post by Bosheff »

Can ya shift throught all 4 gears and still be within the limits of the shift gate? Recheck all shift linkage adjustments which includes checking the shift fork adjustment in relationship with the trans drum/lid. Obviously you will have to pull the lid, which means probably pullin the trans. Now you can visually inspect the shift clutch (3/4) as well as the shift clutch engagement side of the MDG. If one or both of these are are worn beyond service limits this could be the culprit. A bent shift fork will probably not be obvious unless you remove it from the box and check it for flatness. You may be able to get 4th without the engine runnin as there really is no load to speak of on the gears. But, with the engine runnin and load applied it is possible to not achieve full engagement of 4th, or if full engagement is achieved, have it jump out under load. Yer probably gonna have to get into the trans to solve this dilema. Good luck....bosheff
Kuda
Bikes: *

Post by Kuda »

One (probably wrong) thing that occurs to me: you say it won't go into 4th gear, unless you match the revs. Any chance you just don't have enough throw in the gate? I had to slightly notch the shifter gate on the first and forth ends to get enough throw, and that was with all new linkage. Even now, every once in a while it'll pop out of 4th if I hit a big bump when coasting. I've just gotten in the habit of reaching down and giving the linkage a lil' tug after I hit 4th...

-Kuda
'49 panchop
tcb-1
Inactive member

Post by tcb-1 »

Well I think I "figured" it out. I needed to remove the shift arm to get to the fuel tank fittings, so while it was off, I looked down the arm from the shift knob and it was clearly bent. So in short, it was bent approximately .75" to 1" forward. This forward cant would not allow the transmission shift linkage to get all the way to 4th.

So.... now I am going to have to find a method of bending it back and that isn't going to be easy. :?
tcb-1
Inactive member

Post by tcb-1 »

Shift arm was bent. Once I bent it back "straight" and adjusted the linkage, I now know what a fourth gear feels like!!

Return to “Transmission, Starter & Shifting”