V-Twin 37-50 Kicker Cover Feedback

thsmith

V-Twin 37-50 Kicker Cover Feedback

Post by thsmith »

Anyone tried one of these from V-Twin ? I will shamelessly soliciate for an original here but have not had a lot of luck finding one even on epay.

Feedback on the V-Twin replica or an offer to sell one of yours would be great.

Thanks,

Tracy
panhead
Site Admin
Bikes: 1954 FL

Post by panhead »

Are you looking for partno 33150-59? Check JW Boon or Nosparts.
fourthgear
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Post by fourthgear »

Is there a photo in there some where?
thsmith

Post by thsmith »

I am looking for 33277-36 kicker cover that has the veny boss on top that is not drilled and tapped.

Sorry, no picture.

Just curious if anyone has tried one of V-Twins replica cover or if anyone has a repairable original for sale.

Tracy
VPH-D

Post by VPH-D »

I think there were two different covers used after 1940. The first is for 40 thru mid? 48. The second version is from mid? 48 thru late? 1950. My early 51 FL has the latter style cover. Could you just use any cover while searching out the correct one?
VPH-D
thsmith

Post by thsmith »

I have kicker cover I am running now, no problem. But since I am about to redo the entire exhaust system this fall I figured I would put the correct kicker cover on at that time.

Here is a picture of one on epay, you can barely make out the boss above where the Kicker shaft hole is.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... %3AIT&rd=1

Thanks,

Tracy
VPH-D

Post by VPH-D »

The cover on e bay looks to be the 48-50 style, with the date code above the shaft hole. That particular cover appears to have had a rather large repair done to the cover, where the t/o bearing probably broke it.
VPH-D
thsmith

Post by thsmith »

thats the correct style for my 49. Any feedback on the V-Twin version or anyone have one for sale ?

Thanks,

Tracy
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

Tracy!

Sorry that I cannot say that I have held the earlier version in my hands, but the later 'hog-snout' cover I recently received was actually delightfull.

(after I 'weathered' the finish a bit.)

Its always a roll of the dice with Tedd's. But if your independent dealer has a good rapport with sales reps on the phone, returns are never a problem.

....Cotten
panz4ever
Bikes: EL, FXE & FLH

Post by panz4ever »

Pics of the ones that came w/ my 49 basket. The J8 was with the tranny. The K5 was in a box along with 200+ punds of additonal parts. Some nimrod scraped the hell out of the J8 cover and 33-352 is hardly readable. The filler holes are shot to hell as well. It has some other issues on the inside. I went and cleaned up the K5 cover because it only had a frozen release lever shaft (nothing Liquid Wrench and heat couldn't fix).

Hope this helps as far as what to look for
mbskeam
Bikes: *

Post by mbskeam »

so a J 7 is a 47 made in oct.???? J=10 months 7 is the year?

mbskeam
VintageTwin
Bikes: '46 Knuck. '57 Panhead, '59 Panhead

Post by VintageTwin »

I got a later pig nose cover from v-twin. it needed to have some of the aluminum removed from the interior of the cover, around the boss for the shift finger. The bell of the throwout bearing would hit the boss and the push rod wouldn't travel the 1/4" distance it needed to, because of the extra meat in the mentioned areas. Took installing, checking travel, removing, grinding, installing, and checking four or five times to get it right. Luck of the draw on some of these parts. Blasted the "pating" off to get it to stock finish. Nice peice if you need one. Beefy webbing.
VPH-D

Post by VPH-D »

mbskeam,
Your date code assumption is correct. The Oct 1948 cover would have been made for the 1949 model year. I think the date code stuff stopped with the introduction of the 'pig snout' cover.

On the subject of a VT cover versus a stock cover, I would definitely wait until I found a real cover. What is the reason behind changing the cover?
Wrong type? Installing a VT cover makes sure you have the wrong type.
If it is just a leaking issue, that can be addressed when the cover is removed. Just 1 opinion...
VPH-D
thsmith

Post by thsmith »

It is me Tracy()thsmith) who is looking to put the correct cover on my 49. Nothing wrong with the one I have and is Harley but does not have the vent boss as it should.

I will keep looking for a original that is repairable

OR

Again, shamelessly looking for someone here that has one for sell.

Thanks for all the feedback it helped me steer me down the path I knew I needed to go but I have a tendancy to get inpatient.

Tracy

Return to “Transmission, Starter & Shifting”