5 speed?

chopped850
Bikes: 1962 FL

5 speed?

Post by chopped850 »

Anyone here added another gear to their 4 speed trans? I've been all over the web and the shovel site and looking hard for info to convert my RevTech 4 speed to a 5 speed. If I need to use another trans case and gear set I will. Just wondering if anyone here has done it or know's where to point me. I've used the search button to no avail. I'm gonna be tearing my FL down to the cases for a rebirth over this winter. I already talked to Phil about fixing my left case. Stay tuned for the thread.
rmcrh
Bikes: 86 FXRP Sidecar
76 BMW R90S
65 HD FLH
49 Whizzer
48 Chief Goulding Rocket Sidecar
46 HD UL
32 HD V

Re: 5 speed?

Post by rmcrh »

Look for a Little John, an aftermarket one that used to be available- although why?
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

rmcrh wrote: - although why?
rmcrh!

If the fifth gear is a true overdrive, we all know why!

But a five-speed that only sticks another shift in between is futile.

I have never had one of the Little John's in my hands... were they a true overdrive?

If so, they deserve to be highly desirable.

....Cotten
hydra74
Moderator and Panhead Register Member
Bikes: 1943 WLC,1955 FL

Post by hydra74 »

from an old ER magazine nice price !
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Panhead Ed
Bikes: 1948 FL
1959 FLH chopper
1966 Norton P-11
1968 XLCH
1976 FXE

Post by Panhead Ed »

I have no need for more gears ,, but as I recall a few years ago Baker 5 speeds were getting very good reviews .... 1 to 1 is good enough for me and unless you got big inches overdrive is of no good use , your just gonna drag your rpms down too low in the power band for any "stock" configeuerd v twin ... a 24 t engine and 24 t trans sprocket will drop your revs but as time and miles tick away your top end will suffer.
Ohio-Rider
Bikes: *

Post by Ohio-Rider »

I agree completely. Combustion engines enjoy being run at a higher RPM much more so than always having to be pulling. If I'm under 50mph, I'm in third gear and the engine just sings like a bird.
Cotten

Post by Cotten »

I agree with Ed also,..
for stock motors.

But forty years of aftermarket upgrades, as well as a half-century of Interstate (etc.) road improvements allow a lot of room for another gear for those who desire it.

If it doesn't show on the outside, I'm all for it.

....Cotten
Hog54
Inactive member
Bikes: 1954 Panhead
1980 Lowrider

Post by Hog54 »

http://dudleysbasement.blogspot.com/201 ... ts-in.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You can always get a baker 6 speed too.

Last edited by Hog54 on Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
kitabel
Bikes: 1937 U big flathead, 88" stroker, dual port, big cams, pop-up pistons

Post by kitabel »

A customer of mine had an LJ 5 speed, and the kicker gears didn't mesh - no replacement parts available.

AFAIK, all other 5 speeds are for 1970 (alternator) shaft length only.
rmcrh
Bikes: 86 FXRP Sidecar
76 BMW R90S
65 HD FLH
49 Whizzer
48 Chief Goulding Rocket Sidecar
46 HD UL
32 HD V

Post by rmcrh »

I went to a meeting last night of our local rider group and asked about a Little John transmission I had seen in a shovelhead based on the forum discussion stimulating the old brain. I remembered about one I had seen in a swingarm shovel years ago and found one. Hoping to head over tonight to see it and possibly purchase. Funny how it works sometimes.
Cotten

Post by Cotten »

Just a personal point of view Folks,

But that starwars six speed looks silly with a 1941 Military Indian-style kickpedal, even if it is obviously modern.

Is that some of that "steam-punk" thang I've been hearing about?

....Cotten
chopped850

Post by chopped850 »

Thanks for the input and info. I'll research the LJ's. My motor is not stock and will be a lil bigger when I'm done with it at about 84"s. It's at 80"s now and in 4th gear will rattle your teeth out at around 75-80 on the highways. If I can't do it I won't but with all the aftermarket and other forums it can be done. Like I mentioned there is a fella on the shovel site that has done it.
Bob Farr
Inactive member
Bikes: 1954 FL

Post by Bob Farr »

Panhead Ed wrote:I have no need for more gears ,, but as I recall a few years ago Baker 5 speeds were getting very good reviews .... 1 to 1 is good enough for me and unless you got big inches overdrive is of no good use , your just gonna drag your rpms down too low in the power band for any "stock" configeuerd v twin ... a 24 t engine and 24 t trans sprocket will drop your revs but as time and miles tick away your top end will suffer.
I have to add a third Cotten's second of Ed's comment, and a bit of personal experience. I ran 24/37 primary and 24/48 final drive on a 1974/74-inch stock mild motor FLH. It definately dropped the rpm's, and it has a really sweet spot at 60mph on level ground. But it ran into a aerodynamic brick wall at 80mph, and even mild hills were hard to pull in 4th gear. A bigger motor, maybe 88-inch with a bit of a cam, would probably overcome that.

The high ratio also resulted in weird gear-to-speed relationships, where common speeds limits like 25mph and 45mph didn't fall into any natural/comfortable/low-vibration/not-lugging rpm spots in 2nd or 3rd gear. That was with the taller ratio 3rd, so maybe it would be different with the close-ratio set. That bike just wasn't "happy" at any posted speed and it wasn't because it was fast. PITA!

I could have sworn than Andrews made a 5-in-4 gearset, but I can't find it right now. I also didn't see an overdrive (>1:1) 4th gear set. But they do have some nice info about gearsets and manshaft sizes on their site:

http://www.andrewsproducts.com/motorcyc ... _speed.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Now a question. No hijack intended, as it's meant to be in the spirit of the overdive and rpm/speed topic of this thread. My pogo-seat bagger '74/74' was nice on the expressway, but e-way riding doesn't seem to be the best use of a vintage rigid frame Panhead. The '54 I'm working on now will probably stay on the secondary roads. Which primary and secondary drive ratios do you guys recommend for relaxed 45-60mph rpm's? It's my first rigid bike: what kind of handling could I expect if I did run up to 80 on the e-way?

Bob
Scrap
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1957 FL
1980 FLT
74 FXE
2017 road glide
1971 Bonneville
2021 Ural GU

Post by Scrap »

Bob Farr wrote:
Panhead Ed wrote:I have no need for more gears ,, but as I recall a few years ago Baker 5 speeds were getting very good reviews .... 1 to 1 is good enough for me and unless you got big inches overdrive is of no good use , your just gonna drag your rpms down too low in the power band for any "stock" configeuerd v twin ... a 24 t engine and 24 t trans sprocket will drop your revs but as time and miles tick away your top end will suffer.
I have to add a third Cotten's second of Ed's comment, and a bit of personal experience. I ran 24/37 primary and 24/48 final drive on a 1974/74-inch stock mild motor FLH. It definately dropped the rpm's, and it has a really sweet spot at 60mph on level ground. But it ran into a aerodynamic brick wall at 80mph, and even mild hills were hard to pull in 4th gear. A bigger motor, maybe 88-inch with a bit of a cam, would probably overcome that.

The high ratio also resulted in weird gear-to-speed relationships, where common speeds limits like 25mph and 45mph didn't fall into any natural/comfortable/low-vibration/not-lugging rpm spots in 2nd or 3rd gear. That was with the taller ratio 3rd, so maybe it would be different with the close-ratio set. That bike just wasn't "happy" at any posted speed and it wasn't because it was fast. PITA!

I could have sworn than Andrews made a 5-in-4 gearset, but I can't find it right now. I also didn't see an overdrive (>1:1) 4th gear set. But they do have some nice info about gearsets and manshaft sizes on their site:

http://www.andrewsproducts.com/motorcyc ... _speed.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Now a question. No hijack intended, as it's meant to be in the spirit of the overdive and rpm/speed topic of this thread. My pogo-seat bagger '74/74' was nice on the expressway, but e-way riding doesn't seem to be the best use of a vintage rigid frame Panhead. The '54 I'm working on now will probably stay on the secondary roads. Which primary and secondary drive ratios do you guys recommend for relaxed 45-60mph rpm's? It's my first rigid bike: what kind of handling could I expect if I did run up to 80 on the e-way?

Bob
Glad to know they info about gearsets, but as far as the "manshafts" go, all I ever told the girls I dated was that size doesn't matter.
chopped850

Post by chopped850 »

The 5in4 ins't out of the question but I talked to a greybeard this evening and he told me to keep the 4 speed and we'll build my motor and gear it to be happy around all the roads in indiana! He's been building engine's since 1978 and has built drag bikes and land speed bikes. So I'm gonna take my motor apart and then to his shop to see what needs to be replaced, repaired and what can run like it is. Also told me to ditch the 1 1/2" belt primary and go with a chain primary. So stay tuned for the build thread gents!

Return to “Transmission, Starter & Shifting”