Jockey/foot shift on 49 Pan

Mr Mach1
Bikes: 1949 Panhead

Jockey/foot shift on 49 Pan

Post by Mr Mach1 »

My 49 Pan has a jockey shift as well as a foot shift. Hand clutch and foot clutch. I want to be rid if the jockey shift and just go foot. Currently I have a hard time getting it in neutral. What do I need to change out or adjust so I can get gears like normal.

Thanks
Leon
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Re: Jockey/foot shift on 49 Pan

Post by RUBONE »

Leon,
You need to post pictures as what you describe is not normal and who knows what was done to achieve it!
Robbie
Kuda
Bikes: *

Post by Kuda »

Yes, post pictures please! I'm really curious to see this, I've seen bikes with hand and foot operated clutches and hand shifts OR foot shifts, but never both and both. Sounds really interesting. As for your neutral problem, it's usually down to 4 things:

1) Proper adjustments to the clutch lever (whereever that is for you) and clutch hub.
2) Installing a clutch tamer to take the slack out of the clutch drum (keeps it from walking out and dragging).
3) Making sure your clutch plates and steels are within spec (not warped or swollen) and not binding on the posts.
4) In rare cases, making sure the bearing grease hasn't bound up the clutch hub.

With pictures and a little more information, we might be able to be a bit more precise...

-Kuda
'49 panchop
Mr Mach1

Post by Mr Mach1 »

Will do. I'll take some pics of the foot pedals, hockey puck, linkage and the trans cover. When I press the foot clutch the oil tank moves. The whole bike seems to have been put together in a hurry by cows like the butcher was comming any minute.
Mr Mach1

Post by Mr Mach1 »

OK, here's the pics. It's got a backyard bracket mounting the cable in front. It's raining outside so I had to take pics inside the garage. Space is tight so the pics ain't so great.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Scrap
Bikes: 1957 FL
1980 FLT
74 FXE
2017 road glide
1971 Bonneville
2021 Ural GU

Post by Scrap »

Wow, did they ever return the builder to the mental hospital?
old1955
Bikes: 55FLE, 65FL

Post by old1955 »

G'day Mr Mach1

I just wonder why!! Scrap could be right!

I got it,.... two different people owned the bike at one time, so that was the compromise, right! just guessing.
Must have "blowen you away" when you first saw that setup.

How thick are those stroker plates?

Pete
Hog54
Inactive member
Bikes: 1954 Panhead
1980 Lowrider

Post by Hog54 »

What a rig.Just remove the cable from the clutch release lever and be done.
Mr Mach1

Post by Mr Mach1 »

old1955 wrote:.

How thick are those stroker plates?

Pete
Stroker plates ?
Mr Mach1

Post by Mr Mach1 »

Hog54 wrote:What a rig.Just remove the cable from the clutch release lever and be done.
Thing is I want to go with a clutch / foot shift like most bikes. I'm a new rider (very very new) and don't heed to make shifting in NYC any more complicated or dangerous.

Leon
Mr Mach1

Post by Mr Mach1 »

I want to remove the ratchet shifter as well. No foot clutch. No ratchet /jockey shift. Make it like a 57 rigid. I do have a mouse trap if that helps.

Leon
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

Looks like whoever did this definitly not stupid! /?is why? besides he must of dropped some acid & then built it!,I feel your pain about NYC,-IM 20min. outside of manhatten & when I have to there Like to the Allman Bros shows -foot-cutch -handshift would suck (ON YOUR SET-UP) I had a Rocker & handshift set-up for a few & I had no problems in traffic in NYC. But the contraption you have got--just do what someone posted canle-out & be done with it! :lol:
Panhead Ed
Bikes: 1948 FL
1959 FLH chopper
1966 Norton P-11
1968 XLCH
1976 FXE

Post by Panhead Ed »

Strip that sht ! too many parts for one man to deal with, could be his wife thought she should have some thing to do when on rides...
start fresh and definatlly go with the clutch booster "mouse trap" . setting it up isnt as hard as some make it out to be just read through the procedure a few times and youll get it. then when your familiar with it all you can make some minor adjustments "to your taste" .. That set up can work sweet as a hot knife through butter !
steve_wood
Bikes: 56 FLH, 2007 FLHRCI

Post by steve_wood »

Leon:

Looks like those two clutch cables are linked to a shorter-than-normal clutch lever rod (underneath the oil tank). The stock rod is about 14 inches long and goes all the way from the transmission kicker cover to jsut beyond the oil tank on the left side. You'll need the stock rod and the long (~20 inches) clutch linkage rod, the mousetrap and a new clutch cable.

Removing the jockey shift rod looks pretty easy, but you might need shorter screws once you remove it.

The stroker plates are those 1/4" plates in between your cylinders and the crankcase. Could be that your motor has been stroked and bored to increase displacement.
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

Mr. Mach 1!

Does it work, other than clutch adjustment?
(Nevermind...)
That's actually kinda nostalgic, in its own way.
Such homespun innovation became rare and endangered with the catalog-bolt-on-bubblepakbillet new-drool era.

It's a man's machine! Bless him whomever he was.
Thank you for saving the pics for History.

But for safety's sake, I suggest tossing all of the hardware into your raw materials pile, and start from scratch!

....Cotten
PS: Those are bodacious stroker plates!
S&S made such plates obsolete in the modern era,... like 1975 or so,.. by producing pistons cast with the difference taken up in the compression height: a higher wristpin.

So we shall all take great interest in what you find the motor to "be"!
(Please inspect the belly production numbers, as the VIN may not be accurate.)

Return to “Transmission, Starter & Shifting”