Shifter Opinion

CaptMike
Bikes: 1998 Roadglide, 1957 FLH

Shifter Opinion

Post by CaptMike »

Guys, I'm struggling with where to run my transmission top shifter or move it to the tank. I've checked out the seat position and reaching down below the seat and I think it's OK but... but I also agree it would be better on the tank. Before I start painting the tins I'd rather come to a solid decision. At this point, I'm just sitting on the fence. What I have will work but... Looking in all the pictures I can locate I don't see anyone with a post seat with a transmission top shifter. (There is No "Tranny" on my bike. Google it and go to Images.)
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Re: Shifter Opinion

Post by 58flh »

CAPTMIKE:----I have viewed your pics. Real nice work so far ! AS to your ? I think how I would feel about it, are you gonna go for more of a stock looker or it doesent matter to you! I have rode them both ways on mine ,I personally like it down-low--I think whatever you choose will look great 1 way or the other, you show a good talent & knowledge of machines we ride!! Whatever will be just GREAT for me!----58flh 8)
john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '03 Rokon Trailbreaker, '83 GPz 750.

Post by john HD »

go with it on the tank.

it is safer and really makes newbies wonder how you shift it!

last time i had my flattie out for a spin after the questions about the tommy gun the next most asked question was "is that the shifter??".

obviously you are not gonna do it for other people, but it sure makes them scratch their heads!

john :D
George Greer
Bikes: 1942 WLA Type III
Hybrid WL/KH bobber project.
58 FL

Post by George Greer »

John,

Just wait till ya go out, and someone asks about the horn button being the electric start button.

George
CaptMike

Post by CaptMike »

I could just keep moving forward (except for a new "minor" transmission shaft) and run it down low. It's one of the things that my deceased pal did so... Look wise, since I'm not going for an restoration I'm OK with it. Pruitt's Hodge-podge welding on the levers might stay.

I know some of you said it and I knew it.... Geee Friggin Whiz, this little project is about to get expensive. Since you've all been there, two comments I hear frequently is, "That's Going To Be Worth A Lot Of Money" and "Are You Going To Sell It"? Shit, at this point it cost more than my RoadGlide (unfinished) and what's with the "Are You Going To Sell It"? Money wise, I know how much the bottom-end cost and what I need that I haven't bought yet but the rest... Just don't want to know. It's irrelevant... It's just not about the cost. But, with all than being said, I'm starting to have second thoughts about the overage of parts and the 1958 swing-arm frame! "Honey, Why Do You Have 3 Of Those Seats"? (And a second set of heads, cylinders bottom-end etc.) At the right price I will buy extra stuff!
PanPal
Bikes: 50 EL chopper
44 U that looks like a 37.
60 FLH (Sold)
59 FLH (Sold)
58 FL (Sold)
08 CVO Road King

Post by PanPal »

I had mine on the tranny lid but it was hard to deal with under your leg. I've been working on a set up that swivels on a bracket mounted to the top motor mount.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bosheff
Bikes: 65 FLH 82 FLH

Post by Bosheff »

It's much easier/quicker to get a gear if ya run a jockey shifter in my opinion. It takes a little gettin used to, but you can master it with a little practice. By runnin the shifter directly off the lid you eliminate a linkage rod and two pivot points, which will make for a more positive feeling shift. As far as runnin a jockey set-up with a solo seat, in my opinion yer gonna be sittin a little high, and it might be a little bit of a stretch to reach the shifter unless ya got long arms, or you fabricate a custom shifter that is longer in length than what the aftermarket offers. If yer runnin a frame mount seat on a rigid frame the feel is pretty comfortable as far as I'm concerned. I'm 6'3" tall. The one thing I don't like with a jockey set-up with a frame mounted seat was the clutch pedal to leg positioning, but your height will dictate if it suites your tastes. Also a consideration will be if you run a heal/toe clutch or a suicide set-up. Don't ever trust a heal/toe clutch pedal to stay disengaged, even if ya got new fiber discs. Usually to keep it disengaged, you have to tighten the piss out of it, and that leads to difficulty when trying to engage. Last but not least. Run footboards not pegs....bosheff
PanPal
Bikes: 50 EL chopper
44 U that looks like a 37.
60 FLH (Sold)
59 FLH (Sold)
58 FL (Sold)
08 CVO Road King

Post by PanPal »

The one thing I don't like with a jockey set-up with a frame mounted seat was the clutch pedal to leg positioning
Very true! I was thinking about installing a U shaped riser on the front pedal on the rocker. It's too much if you leave your heal on the rocker while you are engaging the clutch.
hplhd
Bikes: 1998 heritage springer
1959 FLH

Post by hplhd »

very comfortable
CaptMike

Post by CaptMike »

Floorboards and a Heel-Toe clutch. The weird thing about the Heel-Toe is, it's engaged with the toe down (correct)? Looking at the seat, floorboard and clutch rocker it looks like it's kind of off for a normal person. (What the Hell is Normal today?)

Ahhhh... Popped the transmission apart today and the mainshaft is almost in. I've checked the run-out at .0005 to .001". I just couldn't live with the clutch hub looking like a wobbling spinning top.

Good points on the linkage. I'm glad this gearbox has a neutral!

hplhd You didn't fool anyone by rolling your bike forward a couple of feet, we know where that wet spot came from. :)
talldrifter
Bikes: Aftermarket Panhead in Shovel frame, 1978 XLCR Sporty in disguise

Post by talldrifter »

CaptMike,

I've been running a jockey shift on the trans since '98, for me it is comfortable. I have a ratchet top so I just move it forward or back, however I was told once that the shifter could increase wear in the ratchet top, don't know, still works fine. My seat is mounted on the frame and I'm 6'4" so my long legs are not in the way. I was thinking about mounting the shifter on the top motor mount like PanPal is doing after I watched an episode of Jesse James with his bike set up like that, just never got ambitious enough.

hplhd,

I recoginize that oil tank, looks like mine, I think they were sold through Jammer back in the early 80's, not sure though. If you have more info on that tank I would like to know, curious, thanks.
hplhd
1959 FLH

Post by hplhd »

mike i swear i dont know where that spot came from :shock:
my 64 had a rocker clutch peddle and it felt a little akward at first but nothing to complain about. it had one of those shifters that bolted to the down tube. real nice, i dug that setup. ill see if i got a pic for you.
hplhd
1959 FLH

Post by hplhd »

here you go mike
CaptMike

Post by CaptMike »

hplhd, Man... I like the '64. The set-up you have I actually looked at and think I like it as much as the tank mount. The reviews on the (newest) CCMP; Cheap Chinese Motorcycle Parts is not good for that rig. I might see what NOS has before the last day to order.
PanJud
Bikes: 1962 Duo Glide
1999 Road King

Post by PanJud »

CaptMike wrote:Floorboards and a Heel-Toe clutch. The weird thing about the Heel-Toe is, it's engaged with the toe down (correct)? Looking at the seat, floorboard and clutch rocker it looks like it's kind of off for a normal person. (What the Hell is Normal today?)

Ahhhh... Popped the transmission apart today and the mainshaft is almost in. I've checked the run-out at .0005 to .001". I just couldn't live with the clutch hub looking like a wobbling spinning top.

Good points on the linkage. I'm glad this gearbox has a neutral!

hplhd You didn't fool anyone by rolling your bike forward a couple of feet, we know where that wet spot came from. :)
heel-down is how mine is ('62) I suppose it could be reversed. Once ya go tank-shifter, ya never go back! Image

(yah I know, #$%#% Custom Chrome speedo....way down on my list of stuff I need to spend $ on;)

Return to “Transmission, Starter & Shifting”