Best Transmission Rebuild Info?

CaptMike
Bikes: 1998 Roadglide, 1957 FLH

Best Transmission Rebuild Info?

Post by CaptMike »

I found the article in the Library "How to Wrench you 74 Tranny". Uh, yea... Anyone know what a "Tranny" is? Ouch!

OK, is there any better information on building the Transmission or Gear Box?
kitabel
Bikes: 1937 U big flathead, 88" stroker, dual port, big cams, pop-up pistons

Re: Best Transmission Rebuild Info?

Post by kitabel »

1. service manual
2. Palmer
Hauula Pan
Bikes: 1952 FL

Post by Hauula Pan »

Service manual gives step by step info. broken down by major component, "ie" Main shaft, Counter shaft etc. There are a couple of specialty tools involved & if you don't have them you'll need to find someone that does. 2 after market catalogs have good parts break downs if you don't have a Harley parts book. Try Midwest or V-twin both catalogs have good pictures with OEM part numbers. Midwest sells an excellent rebuild kit with Jims bushings & parts and James gaskets, everything you need in one kit very nice @ about $110.00 retail. Note: Do Not try to install the counter shaft & case bearings without the proper tools. Like I said, if you don't have them find someone that does.
panhead
Site Admin
Bikes: 1954 FL

Post by panhead »

Here is an article from the KB (for '59 - up): https://www.hydra-glide.net/phpBB3/view ... =67&t=4308
CaptMike

Post by CaptMike »

Hauula Pan wrote:Service manual gives step by step info. broken down by major component, "ie" Main shaft, Counter shaft etc. There are a couple of specialty tools involved & if you don't have them you'll need to find someone that does. 2 after market catalogs have good parts break downs if you don't have a Harley parts book. Try Midwest or V-twin both catalogs have good pictures with OEM part numbers. Midwest sells an excellent rebuild kit with Jims bushings & parts and James gaskets, everything you need in one kit very nice @ about $110.00 retail. Note: Do Not try to install the counter shaft & case bearings without the proper tools. Like I said, if you don't have them find someone that does.

Reading through, I'm missing one tool. (I know there's a puller for the main shaft seal but it's not necessary.) I need to locate a SHIFT FORK ALIGNMENT GAUGE but I'm lost on the other tool for the Counter shaft and case bearing tool.
panhead
Site Admin
Bikes: 1954 FL

Post by panhead »

part 96384-39

Robert Luland
Bikes: 1922 J, 1922 JD, 1937 ULH, 1946FL 1948FL, 1957FL, 1960FLH, 1965XLCH, 1995 FLHT

Post by Robert Luland »

Just drill a hole in the seal and use a dent puller.
Bosheff
Bikes: 65 FLH 82 FLH

Post by Bosheff »

The fork alignment tool you speak of is not absolutely necessary. Just take yer time and use the lid in place of the tool. Patience is the key....bosheff
CaptMike

Post by CaptMike »

Bosheff wrote:The fork alignment tool you speak of is not absolutely necessary. Just take yer time and use the lid in place of the tool. Patience is the key....bosheff
How many Microns play do I have? I hate working with less than 5 Microns... it's just a Bitch.

Hey, that H-D seal puller is a Champ. Some ME really put some work in that thing. The screw trick also works like a champ.
panz4ever
Bikes: EL, FXE & FLH

Post by panz4ever »

CaptMike wrote:I found the article in the Library "How to Wrench you 74 Tranny". Uh, yea... Anyone know what a "Tranny" is? Ouch!

OK, is there any better information on building the Transmission or Gear Box?

Actually if ya take the time and read it through it is pretty decent and fills in a couple of blank spots in the service manual. rebuilt 5 trannys and the last 3 I had that tech info in addition to the manual. All went well and are functioning just fine.

Think it is like most HOW TO books/manuals, there are good and not so good points in each.

Return to “Transmission, Starter & Shifting”