Name that Leak!

rozemab
Bikes: 1958 Duo Glide

Name that Leak!

Post by rozemab »

This a 1958 Panhead 4 speed transmission.

Doing some preventive maintenance (primary chain inspection) and I discovered this leak in my transmission. The leak is slight as a couple of drops can be seen under the shaft. Inside the tin the clutch plates showed signs of gear oil but they were not dripping with oil, more like an 'old' build-up of several years of riding.

Question: Assuming it is the main seal, is this repairable with the tranny in the frame? Of course I can remove the tin for clear access. Also, I read about a 'super nut' with a built in seal but it appears to me it is a band aid as it doesn't address the root problem. Any experience with it?

Also, does anyone know what clutch rod seal size I need is the hub nut. It was a single lip rubber seal. I want to replace it as well.

thanks, Brian

PS Yes, the transmission is fully forward in the frame as you can see off-set between the tranny and the tin opening. Part of my PM was adjusting the primary chain and installing a Rivera Primo Pro-Clutch.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bosheff
Bikes: 65 FLH 82 FLH

Re: Name that Leak!

Post by Bosheff »

If that's all the leakage ya got to show fer two ridin seasons you should be cheezin....bosheff
rozemab
Bikes: 1958 Duo Glide

Post by rozemab »

Bosheff wrote:If that's all the leakage ya got to show fer two ridin seasons you should be cheezin....bosheff
okay, I guess it's nothing to worry about. I will continue to monitor.
steve_wood
Bikes: 56 FLH, 2007 FLHRCI

Post by steve_wood »

I had a similar leak - it's coming out of the splines. I can't remember the details, but it seems to me that there's another seal related to the main drive gear. That would be the one that's leaking - not the big seal you can see if you remove the (outside) main sprocket.

but like Bosheff says, if that's all you got, don't sweat it. The oil is gonna go into the primary anyways where you already have a bunch of oil.

Ride on brother!
katto
Bikes: 1948 panhead

Post by katto »

Dont forget to bend your locking tabs over on the sprocket nut!

Return to “Transmission, Starter & Shifting”