Panhead Tranny Blues

katto
Bikes: 1948 panhead

Panhead Tranny Blues

Post by katto »

Whats a good way to get a tranny top off thats been glued on with gaskett sealer? :oops: Wanting to change a lid from ratchet to tank shift, but its glued on! Enny help for this is appreciated. Katto
Bosheff
Bikes: 65 FLH 82 FLH

Re: Panhead Tranny Blues

Post by Bosheff »

If ya flip the tranny over on its lid you will see that the lid was manufactured with an overhang that gives ya enough meat to get a good whack at it with a hammer and drift of some sort. This would be a good place to start to break the seal. Use yer head. Don't go ta beatin on it like there's no tomorrow. Once the seal is broken you should be able to work it off. Patience at this point will pay off....bosheff
katto
Bikes: 1948 panhead

Post by katto »

Bosheff, Thanks for your time. Ill give it a try. Is it better to put it together without sealer? Im thinking no sealer next time.
steinauge
Inactive member
Bikes: 1938U,1949FL,1961FL,1968XL,1979FL ,1958 FL, 1965 BMW,1975 Honda CB750

Post by steinauge »

I dont use sealer on trans lid gaskets. Never seemed to cause me any problems.(unless the vent is blocked,then you will have oil from EVERYWHERE!)
CaptMike
Bikes: 1998 Roadglide, 1957 FLH

Post by CaptMike »

Try using a heat gun to loosen the Glue/Sealer. Most all "old" sealers will soften with a little heat.
hplhd
Bikes: 1998 heritage springer
1959 FLH

Post by hplhd »

my memory might be playing tricks on me but i thought robbie had mentioned one time the alignment pins(if that what they are called) get rusted up on the lid someimes and makes it dificult to get off . please tell me i read that.
Bosheff
Bikes: 65 FLH 82 FLH

Post by Bosheff »

Ya, I believe you're right on the steel alignment pins stickin to the lumiyum lid. Anti-Sieze is an excellent sealer and when it comes time to seperate the two pieces it will come right apart with no scrapeing necessary. Coat the steel pins with Anti-Sieze also and you won't encounted the corrosion problem either....bosheff

Return to “Transmission, Starter & Shifting”