Countershaft Thrust Washer

Chopper 1
Inactive member
Bikes: Garage built rigid Panhead
97 Roadking

Countershaft Thrust Washer

Post by Chopper 1 »

I have run into an issue in rebuilding a rachet top four speed. The space between forth gear and the countershaft bushing measures .036, the minimum thrust washer is .074 thickness plus a spacing of .004 to .012 is needed so obviously I have a space problem.

Anyone out there run into this situation?

Thanks,

Panhead 1
Robert Luland
Bikes: 1922 J, 1922 JD, 1937 ULH, 1946FL 1948FL, 1957FL, 1960FLH, 1965XLCH, 1995 FLHT

Re: Countershaft Thrust Washer

Post by Robert Luland »

You mean low or first gear don't you? Make sure the bearing washer at the other end in the cluster didn't fall out of it perch in the gear. There would be your missing 30. Do you have the orignal end play thrust washer and what is it? The reason I'm asking is that the countershaft bushings that get pressed in to the case these days, suck. The collars are to thick and the original thrust washer might have been ground down to accaomodate them. It's a little hard to cut them once there pressed in and you find that there to thick. Hope this helps, Bob
Chopper 1
Inactive member
97 Roadking

Post by Chopper 1 »

Yes, I did mean 1st. gear. I did check 4th gear thrust washer to sure that it was in place. The thrust washer taken out is a .074. The case is new (Ultra) and it came with new counter shaft bushings. I did measure them for thickness. The primary side bushingis .095 thick and the kicker side bushing is .119 thick. To fix the space problem I have considered pressing them out and turning them down .025 on each bushing. Or finding someone with a surface grinder to grind down the thrust waher.
Robert Luland
Bikes: 1922 J, 1922 JD, 1937 ULH, 1946FL 1948FL, 1957FL, 1960FLH, 1965XLCH, 1995 FLHT

Post by Robert Luland »

If your sure the assembly is together right then it's ether the bushings or even the case bosses that the bushings seat up against. I would just put the thrust washer in the surface grinder. The damage taking those bushing in and out isn't worth it. Once you get the thrust washer squared away. Check to see how your gears line up with their mainshaft counterparts and your good to go. Bob
Chopper 1
Inactive member
97 Roadking

Post by Chopper 1 »

Thank you for all your help.

Return to “Transmission, Starter & Shifting”