1960 4 speed foot shift tranny top ?

amiabledave
Bikes: 1957 Panhead, First HD was a 1969 Sporster w/factory mag,

1960 4 speed foot shift tranny top ?

Post by amiabledave »

Only thing left to remove is the Shifter Cam and the Shifter Shaft. I want to remove the Shifter Cam. I have remover the Cam shaft locking screw. How do I remove (how would you remove) the Cam Shaft? The book I have is not to clear and I don't want to pull/break something..The O-ring/seal is cut and leaks.....To bad there is no Pictorial like the bottom end.........
Bosheff
Bikes: 65 FLH 82 FLH

Re: 1960 4 speed foot shift tranny top ?

Post by Bosheff »

A valve out of a Big Twin flathead motor makes an excellent drift punch for removin the shaft. If you look at the end of the shaft that is exposed, you'll see a grove in it. Use the valve head end in the grove and hit the stem end with a hammer and it should come out. It might not hurt to heat the cover where the shaft goes into the blind hole if the shaft wants to be stubborn. I've seen covers that have been drilled out so a punch could be used to drive the shaft out, but I wouldn't recommend doin it that way....bosheff
amiabledave
Bikes: 1957 Panhead, First HD was a 1969 Sporster w/factory mag,

Re: 1960 4 speed foot shift tranny top ?

Post by amiabledave »

THANKS BOSHEFF..I THOUGHT NOTHING ELSE WAS HOLDING IT, BUT WHEN IT DIDN'T COME OUT, BETTER ASK THAN TO RUIN IT...THE SHAFT WAS A BIT STUBBORN BUT IT CAME OUT. THE SHAFT WAS INSTALLED BACKWARDS. THE SEAL WAS AT THE BLIND HOLE SIDE. NO WONDER THE THING LEAKED. DRESSED UP THE SHAFT WITH 0000 STEAL WOOL AND A FILE(BOTH ENDS LOOKED LIKE VISE GRIPS WHERE USED). CLEANED AND REINSTALLED...........

Return to “Transmission, Starter & Shifting”