1951 Panhead kicker collapsing

dream-machine
Inactive member
Bikes: 1951 panhead

1951 Panhead kicker collapsing

Post by dream-machine »

Sometimes (most of the time) my 51' Panhead kicker collapses when I try to kick start it. Engine was rebuilt, less than 500 miles on it, valves were adjusted and now it seems almost too easy to kick. Not getting compression I used to have. When I kick it I hear a whooshing sound. It runs great once it's started but there are times that I have to kick and kick and kick to get it started and many of those times I get the collapsing. Mechanic says nothing is wrong but it over the years I've owned the bike it's always been tough to kick it over because I had a lot of resistance. Since the rebuild I don't have that same compression. Any ideas?
panhead_kicker
Bikes: Pan
FLHP Evo
E-H Super X
Chubble head hack
Servi-car
Topper(s)
Model 64D (Hey its got 3 wheels!)

Re: !951 Panhead kicker collapsing

Post by panhead_kicker »

dream-machine wrote:Sometimes (most of the time) my 51' Panhead kicker collapses when I try to kick start it. Engine was rebuilt, less than 500 miles on it, valves were adjusted and now it seems almost too easy to kick. Not getting compression I used to have. When I kick it I hear a whooshing sound. It runs great once it's started but there are times that I have to kick and kick and kick to get it started and many of those times I get the collapsing. Mechanic says nothing is wrong but it over the years I've owned the bike it's always been tough to kick it over because I had a lot of resistance. Since the rebuild I don't have that same compression. Any ideas?
Maybe the valves were incorrectly adjusted , not allowing them to close completely? There are Several conversations in this forum on adjusting valves/push rod adjustment. Do a little searching. Is your 51 motor stock?
dream-machine
Inactive member

Post by dream-machine »

Hi, Thanks for the reply. Yes it's a stock motor but I think if the valves weren't adjusted correctly it wouldn't run as good as it does once it's started.
FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Post by FlatHeadSix »

your clutch is slipping, adjust it, or investigate to find out why it slips.

mike
dream-machine
Inactive member

Post by dream-machine »

Thanks Mike. I never thought about the clutch slipping but it seems plausible. I'll check it out.

Return to “Transmission, Starter & Shifting”