How to remove gearbox?

Henrik_K
Inactive member
Bikes: FL '56
XLH '65

How to remove gearbox?

Post by Henrik_K »

I've got a beltdrive on my Pan. If I want to remove the gearbox - should I first dismantle the clutch or?

Beltdrive is new to me - How do you adjust the belt to the right tension? - There's no tensioner like on a chain?

Thanks
Bigincher
Former member
Bikes: 1941/59 EL
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Re: How to remove gearbox?

Post by Bigincher »

Since no-one has answered you, I'll jump in here..........
First of all, if you don't have a factory Service Manual for your motorcycle, please GET ONE before you go off half-cocked. Lonnie at Antique Cycle has them and they are not expensive. ( http://www.antiquecyclesupply.com/serviceManuals.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; )
In the manual, you will find the procedure to remove the transmission, which starts with removing the outer primary cover, the primary drive assembly (which in your case is a belt) which should be removed all at once (clutch hub, engine drive sprocket, and belt) after the clutch internals are removed. (There is a 'shortcut' where you can leave the clutch hub on the transmission mainshaft and remove the transmission with the inner primary cover and clutch hub intact with the transmission, but let's just forget that for now.)
You will also see in the manual that the method for adjusting the primary drive (chain or belt) is to loosen the 5 transmission mounting points (4 nuts, 1 bolt) and slide the transmission fore or aft to achieve the correct tension on the primary drive belt (or chain). This will, or course, require adjustment of the final drive chain, once the primary drive is secured in the proper location.
Often times with a belt drive, the transmission needs to be fully forward, and sometimes the belt is still so tight that the slots on the transmission mounting plate need to be slightly elongated to allow the trans to move forward just a bit more. Hope this helps.

(whew)
Panshovevo
Inactive member
Bikes: '50 F model, '76FX/L, '96 96" FXDWG

Post by Panshovevo »

1948 - 1957 Panhead Service Manual

Henrick, above is a link for the panhead service manual in the web site library. You can download the whole thing, or view just the sections you need.
If you are accustomed to modern manuals, like I was, the panhead manual may seem a bit primitive and incomplete. However, there is a lot of good information there.
John
Last edited by Panshovevo on Sat Jul 31, 2010 4:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Post by FlatHeadSix »

Thanks John, you beat me to it. That's what this forum is all about; helping each other out.

But sometimes the manual just isn't enough, that's when we need the "bottom line", short and sweet answers like bigincher posted above. Its all good, thanks guys!

mike
Henrik_K
Inactive member
Bikes: FL '56
XLH '65

Post by Henrik_K »

Actually, I already bought the Clymer for my model. However - I find the pictures and text hard to follow - maybe cause english is not primary language...

Anyway; thanks for your feedback - no need for a forum if the manuals were sufficient.
Sir_Rat
Inactive member
Bikes: '37 UL, '79 Frankenstein, '88 Sporty

Post by Sir_Rat »

Henrik K...I find the pictures and text hard to follow also...and English is my only language :oops:

Aloha....Mike

Return to “Transmission, Starter & Shifting”