What kind of shift pattern is this

2dogs
Inactive member
Bikes: 1963 FL motor in 1965 frame with an assembly of other old and replica parts.

What kind of shift pattern is this

Post by 2dogs »

Haven't got the '63FL on the road yet but getting closer. Today after I finished setting up the clutch and mousetrap for the foot shift I went through the gears to find neutral. In lifting the foot shift peg up through the 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th positions I find what appears to be neutral between the 3rd and 4th positions up and nothing between the 1st and 2nd position. I have no neutral indicator switch. This is a newly rebuilt standard ratchet top 4-speed using new Andrews gears. (A commercial shop job.)
I expected the foot shift pattern to be the same (except for no 5th gear) as my '95 FXDWG: 1 down for 1st, 1 up for neutral, followed by up for 2nd, 3rd and 4th.
This was done in a static condition while on the jack stand. What's going on here?
Jack_Hester
Inactive member

Re: What kind of shift pattern is this

Post by Jack_Hester »

Make sure that you don't have a shifter drum for the ratchet lid that uses an overhead shift lever (Superglides, etc.). I don't have my parts manual handy. But, there is a different drum for the FL's. The first FX's had the same drum, but changed when the shifter was routed though the inside of the primary.

This being said, does your ratchet lid have a shifter with the lever on the bottom? That's what the FL's should have. Someone may have installed the whole FX lid on your tranny.

Jack
PanPal
Bikes: 50 EL chopper
44 U that looks like a 37.
60 FLH (Sold)
59 FLH (Sold)
58 FL (Sold)
08 CVO Road King

Post by PanPal »

Are you sure when you are all the way down it's in first gear? If the bike is on a stand, you can turn the motor over in the higher gears by spinning the rear wheel.
kell

Post by kell »

There's nothing wrong with your transmission; neutral is still between 1st and 2nd.
You have a reversed shift pattern because one end of the footpeg/ratchet linkage got flipped upside down.
My bike had the same upside-down shift pattern when I bought it. I just rode it that way.
Jack_Hester
Inactive member

Post by Jack_Hester »

Kell -

You just made me think. A good friend used to have a 73 FX that was exactly that way.

Jack
2dogs
Inactive member
Bikes: 1963 FL motor in 1965 frame with an assembly of other old and replica parts.

Post by 2dogs »

Jack/PanPal/Kell: Well, the dust cover has the shifter lever mounted pointing down as it should be for a foot shift.
With a reversed shift pattern ("reversed" in my opinion anyway) and the absence of a neutral switch, I think the ratchet top must have originally come from a hand shift/foot clutch setup. Does that sound likely?
I guess I have 3 choices: Live with it as Kell suggests, try mounting the shift lever pointing up on the dust cover, or buy a new ratchet top with correct parts for 1 down 3 up pattern.
Thanks.
dereborn
Former member
Bikes: .

Post by dereborn »

Rings a bell somewhere... Isn't that what all the race guys wnat? A pattern that's easy and fast, just stompin down thru the gears? Think I've heard somewhere 'bout a trick to get it this way, but - of course - I can't remember how/what/who or when... Anyhow, just go with it, chat with people about it and surely you'll find out lots of interesting stuff along the way!
Just my 2 cents...
VintageTwin
Bikes: '46 Knuck. '57 Panhead, '59 Panhead

Post by VintageTwin »

Since they don't re-pop the original shifter cam in the rachet top (aka. known as the "drum") most shops replace the "drum" with an FX shifter cam. The two are distinctly different. The FX shifter cam (is what it's called) will reverse the shift pattern. You may be able to reverse the shifter arm as suggested, for I do not know anything about what is called a "foot shifter," however, it is THE shift cam you want if you have a jockey shift because first is forward, back for neutral, back for second, third, fourth. So, when you're heading into traffic from a freeway on-ramp, your arm is moving backwards in Zen harmonics propelling you. Watch the dad on American Chopper ride their "Old School Chopper" sometime. They have the original drum in their lid. He'll be moving his arm forward to shift. It looks wierd and stiff. Where if he had the FX shifter cam, the spring prawls in the rachet would be finding the next gear for him. Hard to explain, but the look, but mostly "feel", is 100% opposite. But, you have a foot shift, so maybe 180 degree-ing the arm will work for you.
2dogs
Inactive member

Post by 2dogs »

Thanks, guys. I've decided to leave the shifter as is and learn to accomodate a pattern reversed from what I'm used to. I've ridden it around the block a few times with no difficulty although haven't gotten out of 2nd gear...no rear brake yet and the front mechanical brake is almost useless.
VintageTwin
Bikes: '46 Knuck. '57 Panhead, '59 Panhead

Post by VintageTwin »

Brakes? You dawn need no stinkin' brakes brah. Wassa madder' yer front brake? You gotta shoes inna drum? I have shoes. My front brake stops OK alla time. You got a different style rear backing plate. I gotta '58-62. You gotta '63-up. 'Bout tha same only you gots ta' wider shoes and built in dust ring and a bigger slave cylinder adda rear wheel. Wassa madder wif yer rear brake?
2dogs
Inactive member

Post by 2dogs »

Post by 2dogs on Oct 7, 2004, 9:24pm

Plumber: Rear hydraulic brake probably fine, just haven't connected the hydraulic line yet....no juice, no brake. Front mechanical brake just not very effective. Probably need to replace the linings.
ES175
Bikes: PANHEAD

Post by ES175 »

Does anyone know who sells an FX shift cam? My local dealer tells me that it is not available as a seperate part.
kell

Post by kell »

some places sell used parts, like fatdog vintage salvage (google it)
panhead
Site Admin
Bikes: 1954 FL

Post by panhead »

ES175
Bikes: PANHEAD

Post by ES175 »

Kell and admin, thanks for the info. Email sent and hopefully they can get me one.

Return to “Transmission, Starter & Shifting”