Transmission Vent Screw

jarhead
Bikes: -

Transmission Vent Screw

Post by jarhead »

In my research, the picture below shows where the vent screw is placed on two different ratchet top lids. Correct? The reason I have some doubt is in my transmission case there is a small hole inside that corresponds to where I thought the vent screw goes. It would be the bolt hole on the other side of the dowel pin on the same side as pictured where the arrows are pointing. What is that small hole? The small hole is about two inches down, parallel with that bolt hole inside the case. All input would be appreciated...
Tranny-tops-1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Robert Luland
Bikes: 1922 J, 1922 JD, 1937 ULH, 1946FL 1948FL, 1957FL, 1960FLH, 1965XLCH, 1995 FLHT

Re: Transmission Vent Screw

Post by Robert Luland »

Jar head it sounds like you have a 54 and down tranny case with a 52 and up ratchet top on it. Is the box out of the frame? Can you provide a picture of the top of the case ?
Last edited by Robert Luland on Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ohio-Rider
Bikes: *

Post by Ohio-Rider »

Wouldn't the vent screw be in the housing? What years where vents in the ratchet top?
jarhead

Post by jarhead »

Here is a few pictures...In the 3rd picture, which you probably can't see , near the cam follower retainer are the numbers A4662 if that helps...
Efrenspictures053.jpg
Efrenspictures055.jpg
Efrenspictures054.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Robert Luland
Bikes: 1922 J, 1922 JD, 1937 ULH, 1946FL 1948FL, 1957FL, 1960FLH, 1965XLCH, 1995 FLHT

Post by Robert Luland »

Well thats a 55 and up case. Rule out the first idea.
Dave_R
Bikes: 1953 FLE Panhead
1960 FLH Panhead
1979 FXE Shovel
2001 Heritage "Twinkie"

Post by Dave_R »

The vent screw should go exactly where your arrows point. On earlier cases, the vent was in the case like Ohio-Rides has shown, and there were no vent-screws (All normal screws for the lid).

Later, the hole was not drilled and tapped in the case, and a vent screw was used. It is in the through-hole that vents on the kicker-side of the case casting, not in the main gear case casting area. If you put the vent screw in one of the through-holes that goes in the main gear area, it blows oil all over (Tried it once and learned).

Not sure what little hole your looking at.......unless you are looking at the hole that is for the retaining screw for the countershaft. That one gets covered by the ratchet lid.

-Dave
jarhead

Post by jarhead »

Ok , appreciate the clarification and information. I'll now put my vent screw now in the correct location...
Speeding Big Twin
Bikes: H-D

Post by Speeding Big Twin »

jarhead, my vent screw is in the same place as that indicated by the red arrows in your first post. According to my 1959-69 H-D SM, transmission section 4D: "The short cover screw with vent hole is inserted in hole nearest locating dowel pin on right side of gear case."

The five characters stamped on your trans case are sometimes known as additional original component identifying numbers or anti-theft numbers and the first Big Twins they appeared on were the 1962 models. The letter A apparently indicates either a 1962 or 1963 model component. H-D also used similar, but usually non-matching, sets of characters on the Big Twin lower triple clamp and the left side of the frame steering head, again beginning with 1962 models.

On the underside of your trans case you may find casting number 121 35. And you may also find a casting date code to indicate the month and year the case was cast-for example, 11 61 would indicate November 1961 casting. Eric
Speeding Big Twin
Bikes: H-D

Post by Speeding Big Twin »

Steve, according to Palmer the vent screw was in the BT trans case for 1940-55 models and was first located in the top cover for 1956 models. He says the blank (undrilled) boss remained through 1964 to make the case a suitable replacement for earlier cases on parts orders. Palmer also mentions 1965-later trans cases and includes the following comment: "Also, the later cases no longer have the boss for the vent plug ..."

However, the photo below obviously shows a 1965 or later case and it appears to have a vent screw boss. Eric
Transcase.jpg
jarhead

Post by jarhead »

To Speeding Big Twin, thanks for the additional info...Looks like my transmission is original to my motor. I have a 62...
RooDog
Bikes: 1950 Panhead, Resto-Mod
1968 90", 5 Speed Shovelhead,
1984 Home Built Custom Evo 100" Bagger

Post by RooDog »

The vent screw, in all cases, breaths from the relatively calm kicker chamber, and not from the gear chamber where the splashed oil is in constant turmoil with heaver vaporing. Make sense?
....RooDog....
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

RooDog wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:27 pm The vent screw, in all cases, breaths from the relatively calm kicker chamber, and not from the gear chamber where the splashed oil is in constant turmoil with heaver vaporing. Make sense?
....RooDog....
The vent screw MUST go in the second hole back on the right side front, that hole passes through to the kicker cavity directly above the countershaft nut and lock. It will not function properly elsewhere. Do as RooDog says!

Return to “Transmission, Starter & Shifting”