Hand Shift Pattern 55 Pan backwards

pdzani
Inactive member
Bikes: 1955 FLE

Hand Shift Pattern 55 Pan backwards

Post by pdzani »

I have a 55 FLE tank shift I picked up last year, I have about 200 hours in it now and its great to ride. The only problem I have right now, and its really not a huge issue but the shift pattern is completely opposite of the shift gate on my tank. 1st gear is all the way forward in the 4th gear location on the gate, and when I ride the 4th gear is all the way back to 1st on the gate. The person I purchased it from must have ground the gate smooth on the left and right side because there are no slots for the hand shift on either side of the gate. My question is, could this be the wrong shift cam for my jockey top or could the shift lever shaft be installed wrong. Right now the shift lever is pointing in the 3 O'clock position when in first instead of 9 O'clock. Any ideas? Thanks
NYFB
Bikes: '63 Rat Pan
'71 Triumph Chop
'02 Softail
'01 Road King

Re: Hand Shift Pattern 55 Pan backwards

Post by NYFB »

I'd guess you have a shift drum for an earlier knucklehead or BT Flathead. They switched the direction in 1947? So you could get a later drum or an earlier shift gate and you'd be set. The gate would be the easier swap, if you don't mind shifting "backward".
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

NYFB,
I'd guess you have a shift drum for an earlier knucklehead or BT Flathead. They switched the direction in 1947? So you could get a later drum or an earlier shift gate and you'd be set. The gate would be the easier swap, if you don't mind shifting "backward".
Sorry, but your info is incorrect. The shift drums are the same early and late, only the lever position is different. And an early gate won't bolt onto '55 tanks.

pdzani,
That is a straightforward fix. It is as you guessed in the position of the lever on the top. If you reverse the position it will work correctly. There is an easy fix if you don't mind a non-original part. There was an aftermarket conversion in the old days to reverse the pattern on early bikes to the late style. One of the pieces was a sort of diamond shaped bracket that bolted on the shift lever of the tranny top. Half of the diamond extended down to the opposite side and when the shift rod was connected the pattern was reversed. Very simple piece. It had a hole on each end for the rod and a large hole in the center that located it over the circular shaft end of the shifter bracket. Use one until you get a chance to pull your gearbox and then fix it for real. You may have to fabricate it though as I haven't seen one in years.
Robbie
pdzani
Inactive member
Bikes: 1955 FLE

Post by pdzani »

Thank you both for the help, the next time the tranny is out I will position the shift lever correctly. I did try to find a reverse pattern shift gate but had no luck as of yet but if it won't fin on the tank, no sense looking. I will explore the diamond fix as well.

Return to “Transmission, Starter & Shifting”