Transmisson set back

doug_heisel
Bikes: 1952 FL, 2015 Road king

Transmisson set back

Post by doug_heisel »

Welln I just put the tranny back in and was adjusting the clutch. I kicked it over a few times to make sure the clutch was engaging and all of a sudden felt a crunch. I pulled the kicker cover off and everything looked in decent condition so it muct be in the tranny All I did was cnagnd the seals and the kicker gasket. so It must be in the tranny gears its all locked up and I'm gtting so fustrated Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh
lockdoc
Inactive member
Bikes: 65 Panhead in a 70 FLH frame

Re: Transmisson set back

Post by lockdoc »

I feel yer pain! Just try not to kick the bike. That's why drywall was invented.
doug_heisel

Post by doug_heisel »

I sometimes think by the time the bike is completely finished and ready to ride I'll be locked up in a little padded room popping bubble wrap and wearing a napoleon hat. well at least I wasnt flying down the high way at 70 mph or entering a curve when it happened.
I'm going to try not to get too worked up until I break open the case and see whats going on. :(
fourthgear
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Post by fourthgear »

If you had the tranny out , you disassembled the primary ,that crunch could have come from there also (clutch hub ,plates , etc. ) . If you think it really did come from the tranny , all you have to do is pull the top & inspect inside .
doug_heisel

Post by doug_heisel »

fourthgear wrote:If you had the tranny out , you disassembled the primary ,that crunch could have come from there also (clutch hub ,plates , etc. ) . If you think it really did come from the tranny , all you have to do is pull the top & inspect inside .
thanks i hope it is just the clutch but I dont think it is the clutch turns in neutral but I can stand on the kicker pedal and it dont move at all so today I'm pulling the tranny back out.
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

Doug,
When you changed the seals did you make sure the main drive gear did not move backwards into the tranny? If it did there is a chance that one or more rollers fell out and are now floating around in the box. Or one could be trapped between the seal sleeve and outside of the gear. Either way its a full teardown. Hope it is not!
Robbie
doug_heisel

Post by doug_heisel »

RUBONE wrote:Doug,
When you changed the seals did you make sure the main drive gear did not move backwards into the tranny? If it did there is a chance that one or more rollers fell out and are now floating around in the box. Or one could be trapped between the seal sleeve and outside of the gear. Either way its a full teardown. Hope it is not!
Robbie
Oh Hell. I bet thats just what happened to it. I hope there isn't any real damage. But knowing my luck, well I should know by tomorrow night if I can just get the time to work on it.

Return to “Transmission, Starter & Shifting”