4 speed transmission output gear bushing direction ?

oldbob
Bikes: 1948 UL

4 speed transmission output gear bushing direction ?

Post by oldbob »

Plan to replace the junk gears in my Revtech transmission with a set of good condition used original Harley gears. One of the first things I will be doing is get set up to press a new bushing in the output gear. I need to find out what direction the bushing go's in the gear. There is a counter clock ways thread that go's in about 3/8" on one side of the inside of the bushing. I need to know witch way it go's in the gear. The threads to the inside of the transmission would help pull oil in to the bushing an on the sprocket side it would still be working the oil in the same direction.

Well witch way does it go . Thanks Guy's
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
steinauge
Inactive member
Bikes: 1938U,1949FL,1961FL,1968XL,1979FL ,1958 FL, 1965 BMW,1975 Honda CB750

Re: 4 speed transmission output gear bushing direction ?

Post by steinauge »

The grooves go to the outside (threaded) end.They act as an oil deflector .Note that that bushing must be reamed after installation.
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

OldBob!

Don't forget to torque a sprocket and spacer on it before you bore, or ream and hone-fit it for the mainshaft.

The bore distorts from the torque.

I use a piece of chain on some too-light channel stock for holding the sprocket. Beware that a vise will distort the bore as well!

When you release the nut after fitting, you will find your bore tightened up a bit on one the slinger end, but it will go back to "straight" when the sprocket is finally installed to the same torque spec.

This will assure the longest life for your bushing, as well as optimizing the contact of the slinger portion.

Good luck!

....Cotten
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
oldbob
Bikes: 1948 UL

Post by oldbob »

Thank you for your sound advice, Steinauge and Cotten .

Robert

Return to “Transmission, Starter & Shifting”