32E problem

febold

32E problem

Post by febold »

Just installed a generator that I rebuilt on my ULH. With the ignition on the generator light is on. With the bike running the generator light stays on. When the ignition switch is in the lights position with the bike running the generator light goes off. I turn the ignition switch back to ignition only and the generator light stays off for a while and comes back on. Anyone have an answer for this one?
FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Re: 32E problem

Post by FlatHeadSix »

febold
its hard to diagnose a problem like this when you don't have all the information about the rebuild. The symptoms you describe indicate that the shunt coil is doing its job and the regulating coil is not. The 2 field coils in a 32E are independant of each other, the shunt coil only works when the ignition switch is in the "lights" position.

To increase the output of the regulating coil when the ignition switch is in the first (ignition only) position you should adjust it by rotating it to the right (clockwise), moving it closer to the negative brush of the generator. Try the adjustment and let us know what happens.

mike
FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Post by FlatHeadSix »

a picture, worth a thousand words, give or take.....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
febold

Post by febold »

I tried adjusting the third brush when I first started having the problem with the same results. When I did the rebuild it was with a new armature, new shunt and regulating field coils, and a good set of used brushes. I double checked to make sure everything was wired correctly, and everything was. I've built several of this model generator over the years and this is the first one I've had a problem with.

Return to “Generator”