Transmission gear wear ?

mcraeav
Inactive member
Bikes: 1962 Panhead

Transmission gear wear ?

Post by mcraeav »

I notice this gear in my transmission, I believe it is the countershaft gear, that had 3 teeth that were rough looking. The rest of the gears and teeth look good, just this one in question. Would this be OK to go with?

Also, the reason I took the shift top off the transmission was because I had trouble getting the shift drum to go back to a neutral position when shifting. It seems sticky and need help going back to neutral on its own.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bigincher
Former member
Bikes: 1941/59 EL
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Re: Transmission gear wear ?

Post by Bigincher »

I think you're seeing the hard-surfacing coming off the teeth of the gear. When this happens, it's time to replace the gear or gears. When the hard-surfacing is gone, it's only a matter of time before the tooth comes off, explodes the other gears, locks up the trans and rear wheel, and sends you to the ditch. Sorry....
Bosheff
Bikes: 65 FLH 82 FLH

Post by Bosheff »

If the tranny doesn't want to return to the nuetral position after shifting (I assume you're meaning the shifter won't recenter itself), could be caused by the shift linkage binding, or one of the pawl carrier springs in the ratchet lid is broken or has lost its tension, or is clogged with grease thus causing it to return slowly or not at all....bosheff
1hdrider
Bikes: 1960 pan

Post by 1hdrider »

i agree with all the above & yea the hard-surfacing is coming off the teeth of the gear...replace it befor it costs ya 10X as much or worse.
FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Post by FlatHeadSix »

Mark
It looks like that may have started as water damage, if the bike sat for a long time with moisture trapped between those teeth and the teeth they meshed with on the drive gear there is a good chance you'll see the same thing on a couple of the teeth on the drive gear also.

The other guys are correct, that is not a place you want gear failure. That gear transfers all the power in all 3 lower gears, it does a lot of work.

replace it and also inspect the drive gear very closely. Let us know what you find.

mike
mcraeav
Inactive member

Post by mcraeav »

That sounds like what I need to do. I have never tore into a transmission before; will I need any special tools for the job?
Also, where is a good source for the new gears?
Bigincher
Former member
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

Andrews makes the gears; may be expensive, but of the highest quality. V-Twin also makes gears, they have a couple different 'grades', I believe; cheap and cheaper.
Ohio-Rider
Bikes: *

Post by Ohio-Rider »

No special tools needed to replace the counter shaft. The main shaft is a little more difficult. That speedo gear will need to be pressed off though. These four speeds are very easy to work on, but you will need a book for reference and side clearances. The best part is once your done, that tranny will out live all of us. NOSparts also has a good supply of orinal parts for these trannys.
Bosheff
Bikes: 65 FLH 82 FLH

Post by Bosheff »

I wouldn't be surprised if that gear was still available from H-D. If it is make sure you don't purchase one with a "T" at the end of the part # as that denotes a TIAWAN made part....bosheff
mcraeav
Inactive member

Post by mcraeav »

I found this place on line to get transmission parts from; Anyone used them?

Into The Wilderness

PO Box 1648
Pinedale, Wyoming 82941

Phone/Fax 307-367-4398
Cel 307-360-6005
Bigincher
Former member
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

mcraeav wrote:I found this place on line to get transmission parts from; Anyone used them?

Into The Wilderness
PO Box 1648
Pinedale, Wyoming 82941
Phone/Fax 307-367-4398
Cel 307-360-6005
Yes, I buy Linkert parts and star hub parts from them. They are adamant that all their stuff is made in USA. Ask them specifically where the transmission parts are made.
They ship fast, too.
NightShift
Bikes: Two Schwinns, a Hercules, and a Hiawatha

Post by NightShift »

[quote="Bigincher] Yes, I buy Linkert parts and star hub parts from them. They are adamant that all their stuff is made in USA. Ask them specifically where the transmission parts are made.
They ship fast, too.[/quote]

All there stuff except for all the tiawanian and India stuff they pile on ebay, huh.
Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea »

Years ago a buddy an I tore his four speed apart to replace pitted gears. We could see a definite line accross the gears where anything not submerged in oil was all pitted. I suppose the gearbox had sat in one spot for years, allowing condensation to sit on the exposed areas...Mike
Bigincher
Former member
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

NightShift wrote:[quote="Bigincher] Yes, I buy Linkert parts and star hub parts from them. They are adamant that all their stuff is made in USA. Ask them specifically where the transmission parts are made.
They ship fast, too.
All there stuff except for all the tiawanian and India stuff they pile on ebay, huh.[/quote][/quote]
Yeah, I guess so........... they "claim" their stuff is American Made. That's all I know, but I haven't had any problems with anything yet.
concrete guy

Post by concrete guy »

They are pretty easy to rebuild. I just put a close ratio set in mine this spring. I had to build a few tools on the lathe but other than that it was pretty straight forward.

Return to “Transmission, Starter & Shifting”