Sprocket shaft seal

StueyC
Inactive member
Bikes: 60 FL Pan, 2011 Wide Glide, 49 BSA, 40 Ariel, 47 Excelsior (British)

Sprocket shaft seal

Post by StueyC »

Went and posted this question in the wrong section so here it is again under Panhead & Flathead-

The engine sprocket spacer on my 60FL measures 1.650" outside diameter but doesn't in my opinion appear to very tight in the sprocket shaft seal. It's a little difficult to accurately measure the inside diameter of the seal but I'm measuring about 1.635". Does this 0.015" fit in the seal sound about right to those out there who know? It certainly doesn't feel like I'm going to a very oil tight seal the way it is.

Thanks.
StueyC
Bosheff
Bikes: 65 FLH 82 FLH

Re: Sprocket shaft seal

Post by Bosheff »

Are ya sure ya got the right seal?....bosheff
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

StueyC,
Is your bearing retainer nut stock? There is no seal in a stock 60FL, only the bearing retainer nut with a reverse cut spiral to push the oil back into the engine. There are aftermarket nuts with a seal in them but if all the stock parts are good, sealing isn't a problem. If your retainer nut is worn or damaged it could possibly leak. i personally have never felt the need for a seal in there.
Robbie
StueyC
Inactive member
Bikes: 60 FL Pan, 2011 Wide Glide, 49 BSA, 40 Ariel, 47 Excelsior (British)

Post by StueyC »

Thanks for the response Robbie, my left case had a retainer with a seal when I pulled it appart. The retainer, seal and thread in the case are badly damaged. I have bought a new retainer with integral seal (I'm running a belt drive) and I'm in the process of machining and fitting a threaded insert to the left case to repair the damage. If anyone knows the correct diameter of the sprocket shaft spacer then I could rule that out. My other option is to machine up a new spacer with a larger O.D. that is a firmer fit in the seal but I'm unsure what type of fit it should be?

StueyC

Return to “Transmission, Starter & Shifting”