4 speed kicker question

TimmyV
Bikes: 1961 FLH
2017 FLHTKL

4 speed kicker question

Post by TimmyV »

Yesterday while kick starting the '61 Panhead I just bought the kicker quit working. It would turn the motor over slowly, but if you really kick it hard it seems to slip. Actually got the bike started numerous times before this happened though.

Never been inside a 4 speed kicker assembly, but looking at some of the parts that were in a box when I got the bike the day before give me a clue as to what the problem might be. I think I sheared that little key on the ratchet gear. Can anyone point me in the direction of a diagram for the kicker assembly or is it so simple even a caveman could do it ?

Anyone know torque specs for the kicker cover, etc ?

New to Pans so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Timmy V
Ohio-Rider
Bikes: *

Re: 4 speed kicker question

Post by Ohio-Rider »

Hi Timmy, Sounds more like your clutch is slipping to me. If the kicker lever turns the clutch basket then it is working just as it should. Remover the clutch inspection cover and using a piece chalk make a line from your clutch basket to the pressure plate. Now if when you kick the engine over these lines should stay aligned to each other. If they don't stay lined up, your clutch is slipping. -Steve
TimmyV
2017 FLHTKL

Post by TimmyV »

Thanks for the advice. As a matter pf fact I did have the clutch assembly apart to inspect the fibers & steels. Maybe I didn't get it adjusted properly. Can anyone give me a measurement for the springs in the clutch pack ? Maybe I didn't get them tight enough. Been a long time since I messed with anything but a diaphragm clutch.

TIA
hobo
Inactive member
Bikes: 1955 FL

Post by hobo »

TimmyV wrote:Thanks for the advice. As a matter pf fact I did have the clutch assembly apart to inspect the fibers & steels. Maybe I didn't get it adjusted properly. Can anyone give me a measurement for the springs in the clutch pack ? Maybe I didn't get them tight enough. Been a long time since I messed with anything but a diaphragm clutch.

TIA
On my shovels I usually tighten the nuts over the springs one turn each until I get the clutch adjusted to where it's not slipping. Once there, I can count the threads which helps me 1.) try to ensure that all sides are tightened equally and 2.) know where to tighten to as a starting point the next time I take it apart!

I know, not much help to you but I thought I would throw it out...
Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea »

Should be 31/32" from the pressure plate to the spring plate. at least a good starting point...Mike
TimmyV
2017 FLHTKL

Post by TimmyV »

Thanks for the advice guys. Now that I've got it apart I can see the broken key on the starter clutch. Looks like an offset key to me, but I'm not certain.
Last edited by TimmyV on Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
66FLH
Bikes: 1966 FLH

Post by 66FLH »

Panacea wrote:Should be 31/32" from the pressure plate to the spring plate. at least a good starting point...Mike
A quarter ($0.25) works great.

Return to “Transmission, Starter & Shifting”