Main shaft 3rd gear

Gearbox
Inactive member

Main shaft 3rd gear

Post by Gearbox »

I have a main shaft third gear that has 23 teeth and all I see for replacement s( for stock 65 trans ) have 24 teeth , so my question is, is this an Andrews close ratio set up third gear ( 1.35 -1 , it looks like it has 23 teeth) the only markings I can see is a three pointed star like thingy on the gear (s ) This Tranny looks like new in it except for this third gear looks banged up a bit where the shifter clutch engages. Any ideas !
57pan
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Re: Main shaft 3rd gear

Post by 57pan »

My RevTech gear set has a 23 tooth main shaft third gear. I don't have any close up pics of the individual gears though so I don't know about the three point star thingy.
fourthgear
Inactive member

Post by fourthgear »

I'll take a photo of it and post it , some one might recognize it . As long as the gear is for a 65 four speed and is 23 teeth I should be OK, I think and I can get the Andrews and for a good price ($ 44. ) . I will contact them ( Andrews & Custom Chrome)before I order any thing( after the Holidays ) , may they can shed some light as to the markings. Thanks
VPH-D

Post by VPH-D »

Every Andews gear I have seen has been marked AP. They were a kind of dull grey finish. You might want to check what you have for a first gear ratio. The 2:60 is much better than the 2:44 for a heavier bike.
VPH-D
mbskeam
Bikes: *

Post by mbskeam »

looky here.....http://victorylibrary.com/tech/trans-ratio-c.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

so many links so little time....LOL

I put the 2.60:1 1st and 1.35:1 3rd in my bike and I like it.....

mbskeam
fourthgear
Inactive member

Post by fourthgear »

Damn , Mike thats some reading , lots of good info there ,thanks . I keep wondering that if I can't find the manufacturer , how do I know that the gears will mesh correctly , do all of the manufacturers have the same pitch to the gears and how will a diff. manufacturer of the gear run with a diff . manufacturer counter shaft gear ? Will It make noise , will it run hotter ? If I can't come up with who made the gear I will probably replace the third gear set .
Tonight I will look at the other gears and using mbskeams info , see what the other ratios are.
57pan
Inactive member

Post by 57pan »

fourthgear,

Here is a link to some pictures of my transmission rebuild. Before I put it all back together I documented the gear ratios just so I could refer back to them if need be. http://www.57panhead.com/ProgRept2-1a.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
fourthgear
Inactive member

Post by fourthgear »

After checking and counting teeth , This tranny has a 2.44 ratio in it . I put the link to the photo of the only marking on this third gear , see if any one knows who made it. I will be putting the main shaft third gear back in because of not knowing who made it and the more I look at it , its really not in that bad of shape. All the end plays have been adj. with the appropriate thickness washers . All I need to do is change the shifting arm and cover on the ratchet top and install new seals.
normal_DSCN01570189.JPG
57pan
the photo link is a photo of the main drive gear threaded area where some had put a lot of Goober stuff in there, they had every hole covered with it and the sprocket nut was covered with it , the counter shaft ( o-ring seal type ) opening was covered and the shifting fork shaft hole also was covered. Don't know if it worked or not .Sorry about the black and white photos , my daughter was messing with the camera and didn't reset it , of course I didn't find out till after I down loaded them on to my PC.
normal_DSCN01540186.JPG
Here is the FX type reverse shifter cam (drum ) ratchet set up , I have to change the shifting arm.
normal_DSCN01480180.JPG
Here are some numbers from the bottom of case , not sure if this indicates the year or ant thing , there is also numbers on the front below the cam bolt , F4769 , don't know if that means what year or what.
normal_DSCN01580190.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Transmission, Starter & Shifting”