Generator bolt holes

panz4ever
Bikes: EL, FXE & FLH

Generator bolt holes

Post by panz4ever »

I am putting a 49 EL together. When I got it the original generator had been removed and updated to a 12 volt system. I am having the original rebuilt and intend to run it as a 6volt w/ the correct 32e generator. When the 12 volt was put on the holes were enlarged in the cam case cover to take the bigger bolts. I have the original 1/4 inch bolts. (Later style take the 5/16 style.) Anyone have a source that makes a sleeve for the enlarged bolt holes or perhaps a shoulder style bolt that goes from 5/16 down to 1/4. Trying to avoid filling and redrilling holes if possible.
panhead
Site Admin
Bikes: 1954 FL

Re: Generator bolt holes

Post by panhead »

Is it a possibility to adjust the 6V generator to accept the bigger bolts?
fourthgear
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Post by fourthgear »

I believe you can drill and tap the Gen. from 1/4 to 5/16, you will not need to shim and strap the Gen. because of the larger bolts, but you can if you want. There should be plenty of meat in the Gen. mount plate to do it . I know some have installed Helli coils to repair the 1/4 threaded holes, so drilling them out with the proper alignment and drill for the 5/16 tap should be no problem. Now if you don't want to change the hole sizes in your Gen. to keep it stock , well thats another thing.
Fred

Post by Fred »

Someone has messed up a good part in the past and now you are talkin
about messing up another to make things fit. Get someone to fix your case.
my humble opinion Fred
mcjim
Inactive member

Post by mcjim »

my 3 brush is tapped for 5/16-24 ,works fine;or you can get some 5/16 OD tubing for a sleeve.no sweat.

Return to “Generator”