12v alternator conversion kit

57pan
Inactive member
Bikes: -

12v alternator conversion kit

Post by 57pan »

My 57 had one of these 12v alternator conversion kits on it when I got it. I'm trying to find out who manufactures it so I can get some specs on it. I know it is supposed to be capable of 17a @ 2000rpm but I think there is something wrong with either the alternator or the solid state regulator.
I took some static readings and with just the head/tail lights on there is about a 6a load on the battery. Add, say, another 2a for the ignition puts it at about 8a. The alternator seems to be able to replenish the battery when I am riding with just the head/tail lights on but when I add the two spot/fog/driving (or whatever you want to call them) lamps it adds another 5a to the load and the battery voltage will gradually decrease. It might go down about 1v after 30-45min of riding.
So, if anyone has one of these and has the spec sheet for it (if there was one that came with it) or the name/address/phone for the manufacturer please PM me. Specifically, one piece of data that I'm looking for is the AC voltage reading that I should be getting right out of the alternator (before it goes to the regulator). This should give me an indication of whether it is the alternator or the regulator.
DuoDave
Bikes: duo

Re: 12v alternator conversion kit

Post by DuoDave »

I am running one of these alternators on my bike. I did not get any specs with it, look at Panomania's post "SOS Need Help", You will find the info you need posted by Panhandler. I will be interested to hear what you find out.
57pan
Inactive member

Post by 57pan »

Thanks for the lead. I'll see if I can contact them.
I noticed that there was an oil seal mentioned. What are the symptoms when the seal goes bad? Does it just start slinging oil all over? I wonder if oil getting into the alternator would cause it to not put out full current.
DuoDave
Bikes: duo

Post by DuoDave »

I have not had a problem with the oil seal, but I imagine it would just result in an oily mess on the front of the motor. I don't think it would affect the alternator output as many motorcycle alternators have to live in an oil bath inside a chaincase.
kr8
Inactive member

Post by kr8 »

I finally found that paperwork, knew it was around here somewhere. It says;
To test alternator on bike you must have an AC volt meter.

A. Disconnect wires from alternator to regulator, hook up meter by placing positive lead to one of the wires and negative lead to the other wire coming out of the alternator.

B. Start bike and read meter at 1500 rpms. It should read 12 volts. At 2000 15 volts and at 4000 26 volts.

there is a phone/fax number 530/677/2229
If that 7/16 lht nut isn't tack welded to the alternator cover give it a few tack welds. I had one come off and lunch the alternator. Low and behold the replacement came already welded.
57pan
Inactive member

Post by 57pan »

I finally found that paperwork, knew it was around here somewhere. It says;
Start bike and read meter at 1500 rpms. It should read 12 volts. At 2000 15 volts and at 4000 26 volts.
Thanks, that's what I was looking for. I will check it to see what it is putting out.

Return to “Generator”