Third gear grinding

panheaded

Third gear grinding

Post by panheaded »

When shifting to third it won't engage right. It slips and tries, then have to let off throttle before it grabs. This may be the compensator. Today it started something worse. When going into third or down shifting to third or when letting off throttle in third it does not engage and makes a gear grinding noise. It will go into third sometimes. I pull in the clutch and grinding stops and can shift to second or fourth. This is a 1958 FL transmission. I don't know about transmissions but it looks like i'm about to learn. Any ideas what to look at first.
Thanks, Ed
panheaded

Re: Third gear grinding

Post by panheaded »

Woke up at three and remembered I forgot to sign post.
Thanks, Eddie
fourthgear
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Post by fourthgear »

Shifter clutch and or both it and its gear engagement surfaces , shifting forks , no oil , tight primary chain , clutch adj. , just to name a few.
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

Another question that comes to mind (because I really want to know if it really makes a difference...):
Are you running a ratchet top with a bushed third gear, or perhaps vice-versa (Handshift top with a solid third gear)?

...Cotten
panheaded

Post by panheaded »

It has oil, chains ok, clutch and studs have seen better days but engages and disengages ok.

It is a ratchet top but I don't know whats inside. I think it's time to take a look.
nmaineron
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1995 fxsts,1963 fl project in progress

Post by nmaineron »

Back to Cottens' reply,how can the bushing in the third gear make a difference between hand or foot shifting.Shifting is done by the drum!
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

From personal experience I find it makes no difference at all. I run the '59 part number third gears in all my transmissions with handshift tops with no issues. The only thing I still run bushings in are 3&R simply because a better option does not exist!
And I find most downshifting to third issues have to do with worn shifter forks or worn dogs especially if the box still has the old flat sided on third gear side shifter clutch!
Robbie
PanPal
Bikes: 50 EL chopper
44 U that looks like a 37.
60 FLH (Sold)
59 FLH (Sold)
58 FL (Sold)
08 CVO Road King

Post by PanPal »

I’m not sure this will cause your problem, but make sure your transmission sprocket to the rear chain is not loose. Only because this happened to me once and the transmission case grenaded.

Return to “Transmission, Starter & Shifting”