32E 2 brush conversion 6v help

51Hog
Bikes: 1951 Fl

32E 2 brush conversion 6v help

Post by 51Hog »

I had some genny problems yesterday.
Pulled it apart and found a broken field wire and the rest are damaged.
I am going to splice some new wire to the old stubs where they come out of the field coils, as the coils still test good.
Since I was going to do the conversion anyway, while I am in there, I may as well do it now while it is open and easily accessible.
My main question is:
Will the original relay still work with the 2 brush conversion?
I intend on changing to an electronic regulator but I just can't get one before tomorrow. I will be putting on 1000 miles over the weekend.
Any input is appreciated.

What happened to the forum spell checker?
FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Re: 32E 2 brush conversion 6v help

Post by FlatHeadSix »

Dale,
If you remove the 3rd brush you will need a regulator, the relay is only a disconnect device and will not regulate voltage or current output from the generator.

Any indication of what caused the field wire to break?, did something catch it and pull it loose, did it get hot and burn off, or did constant vibration just work-harden it until it broke?

There was a pretty good discussion about conversion in the knowledge base a few years ago, I'll see if I can find the link.

mike
FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Post by FlatHeadSix »

All the articles are still in the knowledge base right where we left 'em. The one which describes converting the 32E to a 12 volt unit has some great photos and instruction, all of which also apply to converting it to a 6 volt 2-brush. When you want to keep it 6 volts you can use the old internal parts if they are still good or you can buy new 6 volt fields, armature and regulator, and install them. The rest of the stuff will apply as written.

3 brush to 2 brush generator conversion
51Hog

Post by 51Hog »

Thanks Mike.
The cloth insulation was rotten when I rebuilt the genny 3 years ago.
I just slid some heat shrink over them. The heat shrink chrystalized and cracked. Luckily the wire that shorted out just burned in half. I replaced all of the damaged wires. Guess I will stay with the three brush a while longer--Till I can get a regulator.
panhead
Site Admin
Bikes: 1954 FL

Post by panhead »

What happened to the forum spell checker?
The spell checker is not yet installed as I have not tested it.
51Hog

Post by 51Hog »

Thanks Pan--
The spell checker between my ears is tested, and it doesn't work worth a damn---- :roll: :lol:
FlatHeadSix

Post by FlatHeadSix »

sounds like the way to go Dale, its always much easier fixing something when you know exactly why it broke and what will fix it for sure. And you have a much better gaurantee of success.

The 2-brush conversion usually works out pretty good unless you try to overload it. If you try to run too many lights for an extended period of time it will keep up for a while but it will eventually overheat and fry the armature.

You'll never get to Florida if you keep riding that thing and breaking stuff!

Mike

I meant to send you this picture a while back, we don't have much trouble with bears in this part of Arkansas but I thought maybe you could use this good advice.......
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
51Hog

Post by 51Hog »

Got the genset back in the bike and all appears to be well.
Charges, gen light is out, and the headlight works.
Hopefully one of these days, I will get the bugs worked out of her.
I changed the oil yesterday from 10-50 dino oil, to 15-50 Mobil 1 Synthetic. Oil light only flickers at hot idle now.
With the 10-40, oil light was on solid to just above idle when hot.
Also changed 80-90 gear oil in tranny to 75-90 synthetic. Shifts Much smoother and doesn't whine quite as much in third!!

LOL
That is great Mike, I haven't seen that one yet.
When out in the woods, I always go with a partner and carry my .22 pocket gun. Best Bear protection anywhere--Don't need no stinkin' Pepper spray!!!
It is at this point that most people want to argue with me about the .22 pistol. they tell me that it would be like a mosquitoe bite to a Griz-----I ask them if they think they could out run me with a .22 slug in their Knee........ :shock:
Dale
awander
Bikes: '52 FL
'64 FLH

Post by awander »

51Hog:

I agree to a point-the problem is, most PEOPLE couldn't outrun you with a .22 slug in their knee, but almost any animal, if it wants to kill you, will not care what is in it's knee or elsewhere, unless and until it drops dead. Animals just don;t know when to quit...
51Hog

Post by 51Hog »

I agree to a point-the problem is, most PEOPLE couldn't outrun you with a .22 slug in their knee
That is the reason for the buddy system-----
awander
Bikes: '52 FL
'64 FLH

Post by awander »

Oops-I missed that part...

Remind me never to hike with you!

Return to “Generator”