4th Gear LockUp

Ohio-Rider
Bikes: *

4th Gear LockUp

Post by Ohio-Rider »

Anyone ever have their 4 speed kick only tranny lock into fourth gear? Went for a ride this past weekend and about 15 minutes into the ride I needed to downshift from 4th into 3rd gear and the shifter lever would not budge. I could stand on the shifter but it would not move. I got it home by riding the clutch, and after letting it cool down a few hours I was able to get it to down shift, but it didn’t go smoothly. Now it won’t shift any higher than second gear while up on the jack and spinning the wheel by hand.

Before I start opening up the box, I would like to have a feel for what it may be. I had the tranny open a few years back to install a speedo gear and at that time the forks appeared to be ok, but I didn’t open up the ratchet mechanism, so I don’t know what’s in there. Anyone got any idea’s…? -Steve
VPH-D

Post by VPH-D »

Have you installed a belt drive recently?
VPH-D

Post by Guest »

Yep... Installed an enclosed 1.5 BDL about 2k mile ago replacing a 3.0 open Primo belt setup. Setup the belt tention with about 3/4" up and 3/4" down play.
Robert Luland
Bikes: 1922 J, 1922 JD, 1937 ULH, 1946FL 1948FL, 1957FL, 1960FLH, 1965XLCH, 1995 FLHT

Post by Robert Luland »

Another rotating torpedo bites the dust! :D
FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Post by FlatHeadSix »

Steve,
I know this is probably a stupid question, but I'll ask it anyway; How much oil is left in the transmission?

I posted this photo before, this is what happens to a set of rollers and a countershaft when a WL transmission runs out of oil. The internals are a little different than a BT 4-speed but the effect is the same when you run 'em with no oil.

mike
Ohio-Rider

Post by Ohio-Rider »

Ouch…. What a mess. You may be on to something . This tranny has been leaking quite a bit more than normal and I didn’t check it before this week ends ride. Stupid me. :oops: I got the primary off last night and found a good deal of oil setting in it. Thanks for the insight into what I have ahead of me Mike. What a bummer, I had planned on riding it up to Wauseon next week. I’ll let you know what I find, when I get it opened up. -Steve
duoglide58

Post by duoglide58 »

When my shifting gets sticky, I seem to be able to cure it by topping off the trannsmission fluid. I have some case bolts that seep a bit of oil over time.
Doug
Ohio-Rider

Post by Ohio-Rider »

This is a strange one for sure. The last thing I did before removing the tranny tonight was to check one more time that it wouldn't shift thru the gears while spinning the rear wheel by hand. It wouldn't. I took the top off it and there was plenty of oil in it, and the oil was milky brown as always. :lol:

Of course, with the rachet top removed it shifts smooth as butter thru all 4 gears. I'm begining to suspect that it's the rachet top giving me trouble. Yet.... It seems to be working fine. I'm going to check some end plays and such tommorow. Maybe I've devolopted an occasional binding. Good thing I enjoy this shit. -Steve

Post by Guest »

Make sure the detent is not too tight!
Robert Luland
Bikes: 1922 J, 1922 JD, 1937 ULH, 1946FL 1948FL, 1957FL, 1960FLH, 1965XLCH, 1995 FLHT

Post by Robert Luland »

Check the clutches and dogs on the main shaft gears. That shifter didn't lock up for nothing. You spining it by hand is minumal of real operation.
Ohio-Rider

Post by Ohio-Rider »

I agree Bob, that hand spinning the rear wheel falls quite short of real operation. I do the best I can with what I have to work with. After all the oil falls off tonight I’ll be able to get a better look at those main shaft gears. All I’ve found so far is a loose shifter fork nut for the third and fourth gears. I’m doubting it was loose enough to cause the 4th gear lock up. You are so right! That shifter didn’t lock up for nothing, and I appreciate yours and everyone’s help with finding out why. -Steve
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

"...the oil was milky brown as always."

Water?

.....Cotten
FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Post by FlatHeadSix »

Cotten,

the correct response is not WATER?, it is WATER!!

The only explanation for milky brown chocolate pudding in a transmission is that water has homogenized with the oil. Not only does it compromise the lubrication properties of the oil, it causes rust and corrosion on every iron alloy surface it contacts. A combination of those effects will almost certainly cause a shifter clutch to bind on the mainshaft splines.

mike
Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea »

Possibly a pressure washer near the tranny vent?
FlatHeadSix

Post by FlatHeadSix »

pressure washer, garden hose, riding in the rain.....whatever

the most common cause is a plugged vent, condensation, and short duration rides which do not allow the oil to reach a temperature which will flash the water off and allow it to escape as vapor through the vent. Same thing happens to the engine oil under the same conditions.

the only answer is frequent oil changes if those are your riding conditions. Fortunately the big twin 4 speeds have a drain plug and you can dump the old oil, flush the box and refill it. the WL gear boxes do not have a drain plug, you have to suck the old sludge out.

mike

Return to “Transmission, Starter & Shifting”