JohnnyBadBrains
Inactive member
Bikes: 1956 FLH Panhead
1938 UL Flathead
1968 FL Shovel (Basket case)
2007 HD Street Bob

Removing generator from 1956 FLH

Post by JohnnyBadBrains »

When removing the generator, with a plan of taking it in to exchange for a rebuilt one, do I remove the armature as well, or does that stay with the engine? [thanks in advance for any help, as I'm sure you're all probably laughing at me, huh? :D ]
fourthgear
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Post by fourthgear »

Other than the wiring, two bolts hold the whole thing on( your one end may be stuck to the case where the gasket is ). Why not rebuild it your self , you can get all the parts you need from various parts suppliers on the Internet and you can check the individual components your self . Or get a new Cycle Electric Gen., I'm not sure if they make a six volt , if that's what you need ..
Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea »

I replaced the armature on my 49 about ten years back, I found a place that re-built alternators and generators and just happened to have one in stock. I think the failure was caused by a faulty Bosch regulator that caused the generator to work constantly, It also boiled the battery dry and spoiled the chrome on the oil tank. The top seam on the battery case failed also, contributing to the debacle. I think a Cycle Electric replacement would be a good choice if you'r not to keen on fixing the old one, just make sure the regulator works! Mike
JohnnyBadBrains
Inactive member
1938 UL Flathead
2007 HD Street Bob

Thanks Fourthgear, it certainly seems to be stuck as you suggested. Any ideas on "unsticking" it? would soaking it in WD-40 be good or bad? I've been tapping on it with a wood dowel and hammer, but still stuck like a son of a gun. Thank you to Panacea on your experience too! This Forum is such a great source of info!!
Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea »

Have you disconnected the strap that holds the genny to the cradle? There should be a 3/4" wide strap connected to a "T" bolt that slides thru a hole in the cradle fastened with a nut below. Mike
JohnnyBadBrains
Inactive member
1938 UL Flathead
2007 HD Street Bob

Mike, There was no such bracket with a bolt to a T on the underside, only a loosely fitting clamp, bound by a spring, towards the LHS of bike towards the brushes end of gennie. The part that is stuck to engine is wher I imagine the paper shims a read about in the Clymer manual. So currenlty, that part og the gennie is stuck to engine with armature sticking out. Thanks again everyone,
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

JohnnyBB!

It sounds like you have disassembled the generator housing without removing the entire assembly from the machine first.

The two bolts that Fourthgear mentioned pass through the camcover and right motorcase, from the right side of the bike towards the left, into the generator.

The thin metal band with the small spring is an original two-brush dust cover, on the commutator ( far 'left' on the bike) end of the generator.
So I will wager that your machine has been updated, and the bolts through the camchest have been boogered out to 5/16".
The strap that Panacea mentioned is a heavy clamp bolted to the motorcase, and only holds the generator down, not on. Loosening it's bottom fastener should allow the whole generator to slide out to the left. Since it's a test of patience to use it properly, the clamp has often been 'deleted', particularly when updated to a later system.

...Cotten
JohnnyBadBrains
Inactive member
1938 UL Flathead
2007 HD Street Bob

Thanks everyone!!!

Cotton, Panacea, Fourth Gear!!!! Many thanks! Just got home from a spin and she's running strong thanks to you all. Appreciate you folks helping out a knucklehead like me with my Panhead!!! Safe travels all!!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Generator”