FITTING TRANNY INTO FRAME

ZIPPO

FITTING TRANNY INTO FRAME

Post by ZIPPO »

I KNOW THIS IS GOING TO FIT BUT DONT SEEM TO HAVE HAD THIS MUCH TROUBLE BEFORE.FITTING A OLDER TRANNY INTO A 48 FRAME WITH STOCK OIL TANK.DOES NOT SEEM TO WANT TO GO UNDER THE OIL TANK PLATE.HAVE FOUND PLATES CUT OUT WHERE ITS HITTING BUT DONT THINK I SHOULD HAVE TO.i THINK OIL TANKS 36-64 ARE ALL SAME HIEGHT BUT MAY BE WRONG.I'M USING A LATER TRANNY PLATE .kNOW IT BECAUSE i HAD TO DRILL THE EXTRA HOLE IN IT.ARE THE OLDER ONES THINNER?TRYING TO GO IN FROM LEFT SIDE WILL TAKE ANY ADVISE BUT I'M READY TO CUT OUT THE OIL TANK MOUNT PLATE.
1950Bobber

Clearance

Post by 1950Bobber »

I measure a 1/2" clearance from the tranny top to the lowest lip of the oil tank plate from either left or right side. Should have clearance...something's not right there.
rodklop
Bikes: Harley 42 WLA Harley 48FL

Post by rodklop »

Zippo
You didn't say if you had the trans mounted to the mounting plate and then slide it in from the left. That is the sequence. If the mount plate is bolted in to the frame first, the trans won't go in under the oil tank.
Hope this helps.........Rod
panz4ever
Bikes: EL, FXE & FLH

Post by panz4ever »

Did you remember to put the spacers under the front of the oil tank where it mounts to the downpost used for the seat post.
ZIPPO

FITTING TRANNT INTO FRAME

Post by ZIPPO »

Yes the tranny is bolted to the plate.the oil tank is as high as it can go.cant remember if I put spacers or just a couple washers under front of oil tank mounts will check tommorrow.yea this makes no sense to me either.May just have to take wheel,fender and oil tank out to put in tranny but that makes no sense.
doc308
Bikes: 1969 XLH
2016 Softail Slim

Post by doc308 »

Loosen the oil tank mounting bolts so that you have play with the tank .
Robert Luland
Bikes: 1922 J, 1922 JD, 1937 ULH, 1946FL 1948FL, 1957FL, 1960FLH, 1965XLCH, 1995 FLHT

Post by Robert Luland »

Insert from primary side?
zippo

fitting tranny into frame

Post by zippo »

Thanks for allthe help and the graet information.Seems like I was looking at the bottm of a beer can instead of the tranny.I drilled the extra hole in the plate on wrong side and bolted it own upside down felt so stpid that I was not going to say what I did but just to say it works great going in from the left side when the tranny plate is bolted on the right way.Now if I can just remember what I did with the kicker.thanks
1950 Bobber

Re: fitting tranny into frame

Post by 1950 Bobber »

zippo wrote:Thanks for allthe help and the graet information.Seems like I was looking at the bottm of a beer can instead of the tranny.I drilled the extra hole in the plate on wrong side and bolted it own upside down felt so stpid that I was not going to say what I did but just to say it works great going in from the left side when the tranny plate is bolted on the right way.Now if I can just remember what I did with the kicker.thanks
Like none of us have ever done something....well, let's say....novice! :oops:

Fact is, you're OK and the beer is gone 8)

Return to “Transmission, Starter & Shifting”