kicker pedal

Willy G.
Inactive member

kicker pedal

Post by Willy G. »

My kicker pedal moves to the kick position when flying down the road. How do you stop this from happening? Thanks, Willy G.
VT

Post by VT »

There's a bent spring clip that fits inside the pedal/kick-arm junction. It's directional and has a flat end that goes towards the square-back of the kick-arm. The best book for rigids is the '49-57 Spare Parts Catalog.
Kuda
Bikes: *

Re: kicker pedal

Post by Kuda »

Willy G. wrote:My kicker pedal moves to the kick position when flying down the road. How do you stop this from happening? Thanks, Willy G.
Three things:

1) Replace the spring like VT said.

2) Replace the bushing in the kicker

3) Tighten up the mounting bolt for the kicker pedal.

I keep mine tight enough that I have to pull on it to get it to kick position, and it will NOT move until I do...

-Kuda
'49 panchop
PanPal
Bikes: 50 EL chopper
44 U that looks like a 37.
60 FLH (Sold)
59 FLH (Sold)
58 FL (Sold)
08 CVO Road King

Post by PanPal »

Could be a tight bushing on the ratchet gear. The shaft is always spinning in this bushing. This bushing should have a lot of clearance.
Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea »

Panpal, I know what you are talkin' about, I had that happen on my 49, I'd be ridin' down the road and my kick arm would rotate downward as though it was being "pulled down" from inside the kicker cover. It's been many years but as I recall I had the one piece arm turned down on a lathe to straiten the bearing area. I didn't see how he got it set up in the chuck to turn it down but back then you couldn't buy the one piece arm anymore, so I wanted to re-use it. Mike

Return to “Transmission, Starter & Shifting”