Magnets in L.A.

I ordered some curved neodymium magnets to see if I could put them in my generator

kell

Magnets in L.A.

Post by kell »

I ordered some curved neodymium magnets to see if I could put them in my generator in place of the field coils and metal slugs. The curve of the magnets fits the curve of the inner surface of the generator case absolutely perfect, a real piece of luck. But the supply house does not select by polarity, they simply refuse to (I tried); so I ordered six of the magnets in the hope that some would have opposite polarity. No such luck. So I can't replace both of the field coils, unless somebody on this board lives in L.A. and would go to one of the retail outlets this supplier has! One is in Van Nuys and one is on Vermont. I'll explain how to select the polarity I need just using an ordinary pocket compass, etc.
The magnets are d**n powerful, way stronger than the electromagnets in the generator. And since you don't need the generator to build up current to get a magnetic field with a permanent magnet, like these, I think this mod will allow me to kick start and run the bike without a battery.
Snake33
Inactive member

Re: Magnets in L.A.

Post by Snake33 »

I live near L.A., I'm actually in Orange County. If you don't find anyone closer, I can probably help you out.
kell

Post by kell »

I'll send you a message. In the meantime anybody in L.A.?
Snake33
Inactive member

Post by Snake33 »

Kell, I got your magnets. Let me know where to send them.
kell

Post by kell »

Thanks, snake33. I'll put my info in a message.

One more thing:
Ship by UPS!
The post office loses things. Ask me how I know.
57Kicker
Bikes: -

Post by 57Kicker »

Kell,
Tell me how......the P.O. lost your mail...'nother story, I'm Sure.
Magnets? to replace a battery? hmmm...let' hear this. I am interested, if not intrigued! I have never heard of this.

cheers!
kell

Post by kell »

As you know, you don't need a battery to start a bike with a mag. The mag provides its own spark. But with a conventional points-and-coil (Kettering) ignition, the current has to come from a battery or some other power source outside the ignition itself. So if you want to omit the battery and still be able to kick start the bike it means the generator has to put out power at the very low engine turnover of the actual kick itself.
That requires a magnetic field inside the generator. But: The type of generator these bikes comes with runs on electromagnets, which means that the magnetic field feeds on the current flowing through the generator as it builds. You get nothin at first. Then as the engine revs up and the gen turns faster, a little current builds a small magnetic field and then more as revolutions increase, until finally you get your power.
Permanent magnets will provide a field from the get-go. That way you get power output from the generator even at low revs -- how much you get depends on how strong the magnets are. There is a tradeoff, however. If the magnets are too strong, at high revolutions the generator would put out so much voltage that it would overpower the voltage regulator. So I have to hope that there is a happy medium in terms of the magnet strength where the generator provides enough power at kicking revs to start the bike, but not so much at highway speeds that it burns out the voltage regulator.
And speaking of voltage regulators, this scheme requires a solid-state unit for steady voltage output. A relay is only good if you have a battery to even it all out.
Snake33
Inactive member

Post by Snake33 »

Kell, your magnets are on their way from the home of the World Champion Anaheim Angels (I won't be able to say that much longer) and the Stanley Cup finalist Anaheim Mighty Ducks (that one isn't looking so good this year either) I will send you a message with the tracking number.
Sidecar
Bikes: -

Post by Sidecar »

I don't have anything to offer on this subject, but it is damn interesting !!!!!!
It's a great concept. I hope that you can get it to work.

Randy

Return to “Generator”